Thursday, April 16, 2015

Behr Swatching

... you know, like bear watching? That's a thing right? I don't know. I'm a city girl... and I think I just failed my first attempt at a punny post title.

Moving on.

I have mentioned a couple times that we are painting almost our entire house. Basically, everything but the bedrooms and bathrooms. We have a very open concept floor plan, making it hard to paint various areas different colours. On top of that, our house has rounded corners -- or bullnose corners in the interior design world -- and this prevents us from stopping one colour at an outside corner and starting a new colour on the adjacent wall. It would only look decent on inside corners. So we decided to paint all open areas one colour. It's a huge commitment.

Let's rewind a little. When we first bought this house, it was a dark shade of beige. I knew right away that I wanted to brighten up the walls so we hired painters to come in prior to moving our stuff in. It wasn't cheap, but we wanted to move in and enjoy right away. Not to mention, we were getting married within a month of closing on the house so definitely no time for big painting projects. Here's a photo from the MLS listing before we made any changes.


It was just too dark for me. I chose a lighter cream colour. But after living with it for 2.5 years, I just couldn't fake my happiness anymore. I am very ashamed to admit that I made a mistake. An expensive mistake. I thought I wanted cream walls, but I was wrong. It took a little bit of convincing, but I got Mike to agree that we needed to repaint. To be honest, I still think he thinks it was fine the way it was, but, you know what they say, happy wife happy life!

I was drawn towards shades of light grey and white. Like this, or this, or this. I picked up a bunch of swatches from Home Depot to throw up on the walls. We spent about a week deciding which one we should go with.


See the lighter cream colour? It doesn't look that much lighter than the above photo, but I promise it was. The swatches we got were all Behr because that's the brand our Home Depot carries. From top to bottom, they are: White, Maui Mist, Bakery Box, Tin Smith, Silver Polish, Frost, and Ice Sculpture.


After days of staring at the little papers taped to various walls in the house, we bought a test pot of our favourite one. We painted little squares in a few different spots just to really make sure this is the one. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Can you guess which one we chose?


The second one, Maui Mist! I'm so happy with it! It is the perfect mix of grey and white, with a touch of blue. Very airy and bright and happy-looking.


I have to work on my photography skills, but I promise that it is perfect for us. So far, we are done the kitchen, dining room, and living room. Up next is the main floor hallway and after that, the stairs and upstairs hall. My body pretty much permanently aches these days but it's so worth it!

7 comments:

  1. It looks so good! You're right, it makes it look so airy and fresh! Also, I love those shelves on your living room wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we painted our entire house Comfort Gray by Sherwin Williams and love it!! Your house looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snaps to you for painting your entire house! We were going to paint our bathrooms this month but chickened out haha. We had everything other than the bathrooms painted for us and you're so right - it makes everything look so much better! You'll love it when you guys finish up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly think choosing a paint color has to be the hardest decision you make LOL! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like the paint color commitment is overwhelming AND SOMETHING YOU CAN'T REALLY PREPARE FOR! Throw pillows- you don't like, you hid them in the guest room. Paint you don't like, you hid outside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your title! Lol

    Also, I really like your design style ; ) I see a hint of the white rose!

    Can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your title! Lol

    Also, I really like your design style ; ) I see a hint of the white rose!

    Can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete