Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Favourite: Tulips

Growing up, my mom owned a flower shop and I used to spend a lot of time there with her. Given that it was a small business, she worked really hard and the hours were long. I have a lot of fond memories of going to wholesalers to help her choose the flowers and then helping her arrange them.  It always smelled so lovely in the store. It taught me not only to love flowers, but how to care for them as well.

She would often let me take home a bunch of flowers for my room. When springtime rolled around, I always chose tulips. Tulips are a seasonal flower for this time of year. While you can technically get any flower year-round, when they are in season, they are grown locally and have less travel to do, making them more hardy now. And cheaper. Win!



I love many different flowers but tulips definitely have a special place in my heart. They signify springtime and rebirth. After all the long months of winter we get here, I am always so excited to see the early spring flowers blooming. My grandmother always has them growing in her garden this time of year as well.

We all know that cut flowers don't last forever but over the years, I picked up a few tips on how to prolong their life in a vase.
  • When choosing tulips at the store, look for ones that have tightly shut buds. The more closed they are, the fresher they are. Obviously, the ones that are more open are further into their life cycle.
  • Stick them in water right away and keep away from heat when transporting. I often buy flowers at the flower shop in my local grocery store. I always make sure to buy them after buying all my groceries and then I head straight home to stick them in water. 
  • When you get home, cut about an inch off of the ends on an angle. The diagonal angle is important because it gives them more surface area to absorb water with. Do this with all cut flowers.
  • Tulips really like cold water and thrive in cold temperatures. Have you ever noticed that they bloom in early spring, right after the ground thaws? To enhance this cold environment, add a couple ice cubes to the water. 
  • Change the water and rinse out the vase everyday. All flowers release their own waste into the water that makes it turn murky and harmful to the plants. 
  • Recut the bottoms of the stems everyday or every other day: about one inch, on a diagonal. This exposes fresher cells of the stem to clean water. The very bottom often gets mushy and doesn't do it's job.

Hopefully these tips will help keep your tulips fresh for longer amounts of time. Unfortunately, they aren't a good candidate for drying so I always want to keep them on my coffee table for as long as possible before they inevitably get thrown out. For me, tulips average about 10 days after purchase.

I just love them. What are your favourite flowers? 


I am going to be off for Easter celebrations. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend! See you Tuesday! 

5 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, this post is perfect! I just purchased my first bouquets of tulips this morning at the store!! I am so into them right now! Definitely going to change the water everyday now - hopefully I can't get them to bloom nicely, pictures next week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! Good luck Christina!

      Delete
  2. Tulips are springtime perfection!! Have a beautiful Easter weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are GREAT tips!! I LOVE tulips, they are one of my favourite flowers for sure, some of these tips are definitely going to help me keep them longer :) Thank you!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that this was helpful Tawnya! Now, if we could just get them growing in the ground faster in our Canadian "spring"!

      Delete