Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Reading Lately: Not That Kind Of Girl

My husband likes to watch sports. A lot. And I kind of don't. To me, most games are the same. Take basketball for example: dribble dribble, shoot, dribble dribble, shoot. Back and forth and back and forth. And then time runs out and we see who has more points. Mike likes to watch lots of different sports, and lots of different teams. I just can't find it in me to share the passion. Which is ok! He's cool with it.

Anyway, the point of this post isn't the hate on sports. To be honest, I enjoy watching them in little spurts. But this leaves me with a lot of free time. Enter: books. We can still hang out in the same space and not bother each other while doing our own thing. Win-win.

I thought it would be fun to start a little series about books I have read. I really enjoy hearing what other people think about a book. Sometimes reading can be a lonely experience. After I finish the last page, I always want to discuss with others since a story can affect everyone differently. I should probably join a book club.

I recently finished reading Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl. And I looooved it.


I have mentioned in an earlier post that I loved Lena Dunham. I love that she speaks her mind and says what we are all too afraid to say. She is comfortable in who she is and is an advocate for women and for the LGBT community. She is an actor, author, screenwriter, producer, and director. This girl is so crazy talented! I was first introduced to her in the show Girls. It really caught my attention and I binge-watched the whole series. Once I was all caught up, I needed more.

Her book is a collection of essays, based on her life experiences. I thought it was funny, quirky, and brutally honest. She didn't skim over anything! She talks about growing up in an artsy family, her obsessive-compulsive disorder, crazy boyfriends, college life, and everything in between.

I see a lot of parallels between her essays and various plot lines in Girls. Her writing style is very easy to follow and it feels like I'm listening to a friend talk. I really didn't want it to end. Hopefully she will write more soon!

Have you read anything worth sharing lately?

6 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about this book and I def think it is going on my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so on my list! I'm trying to get some good books for our upcoming roadtrip! I finished Girl on the Train recently- it was interesting. Parts were tough, but it was a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading that one right now. I actually took quite a hiatus but I need to finish it asap!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one yet but it's on my list for sure!!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching sports on tv can get boring, but going to the games is a lot of fun ;-)

    I'm almost done reading "Gone Girl" and let me say that b*tch is cray! Holy crap, I only have a few chapters left and I can't wait to get home from work and finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I do book posts at least once a month :) we can be book friends! Second, I love Girls too! And I totally saw so many parallels between the show and the book, which I thought was so cool. She is such a talented person! I read books all the time while my husband watches movies that I'm not into :)

    ReplyDelete