Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday Favourite: Begonias

Hurray it's Friday! And time for my favourite link up of the week!

Let's talk about flowers a little bit. I love them. But I have always only really worked with cut flowers. I kind of stink at keeping things alive in soil.

Well, this is the year that will change. I bought some planters to sit on top of my deck railing. I can't find them online at all because I bought them at a small local mom-and-pop nursery. #bloggerfail They are kind of a mix of this and this. I just love the look of coco-lined planters.


But this post is really about what goes in the planters and why. I chose tuberous begonias because they are one of my grandmother's favourite flowers. She is a very avid gardener and has these all over her garden in the ground and in planters. Gardening with her is one of my earliest memories and she is so passionate about her garden.

My grandmother (or Babcia) lives in Poland, where I was born and lived until age 5. Since then, I have only seen her a handful of times but I talk to her on a weekly basis via Skype. Oh how I love modern technology. When I was younger, calling Poland was very very expensive and I had to write letters to her through snailmail. Now things are easy. I can talk to my family every day for free! It's so amazing and I am so grateful.

I still miss them like crazy though. Having little things around the house that reminds me of them makes me feel like they are a little closer. Every time we Skype, she asks to see my begonias and always gives me tips on how to keep them healthy.


I really love being able to see these through the patio door in our dining room. I hope to make her proud and keep working on my green thumb. 


Do you have a favourite flower for outside?


~

Linking up with some of my fave mama bloggers for their Can't Live Without It linkup! Check out their blogs below and make sure to send them some love:



Happy weekend!! 

12 comments:

  1. How sweet! I love this post- what a sweet way to keep her in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, I totally stink at keeping things alive... I was not blessed with a green thumb. I think there is a lot to be said about flowers and keeping memories of those that we love alive. It is a really sweet gesture to plant something in remembrance of someone. And your baskets are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty. I have a lot of favorite flowers but I don't dare try to grow them - I kill everything that touches the ground, a pot, etc. I buy the ones already done, all I have to is "remember" to water or not overwater, enjoy them for the season and say a prayer they survive said season! To have a flower to see everyday to remind you of someone you love is wonderful. From Can't Live Without It party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your flowers and how sweet of a memory you have with them. That is so special. I am like you however and am not able to keep flowers alive but I am trying again this year. I hope we both have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty. I like bleeding heart flowers. I think I have seen them at Lowe's, but have not yet attempted to keep any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours are just so pretty!!! I can't wait to have a garden so I can grown herbs and fresh flowers!! Happy Friday! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have a beautiful flower garden!! the AZ heat kills it :( I love that your flowers remind you of family :) what a sweet reminder! happy Friday!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those planters and flowers are so pretty! I loved my begonia plants at the old house. I've been meaning to buy some new plants for this house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet that your grandma checks on your flowers, I totally second the Skype love! Your planter looks gorgeous, I wish I could keep mine looking that good! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still loving those boxes! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so, so grateful for modern technology allowing us to keep in contact with our loved ones that live far away! I love have flowers planted, unfortunately they are really, really hard to keep alive as our temps keep rising here in Arizona... Hopefully I'll get a little while longer with them before they shrivel up from the summer heat! Enjoy your flowers! They are beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete