Tuesday, June 2, 2015

No More Green Fingers!

We all know money doesn't grow on trees. And we can't have everything. Or at least the best of everything. It's a sad fact, really. 

While I would love for all my jewelry to be 24 karat gold, that's just not realistic. I'm sure most of you have a few pieces of not-so-real jewelry. I definitely do and I love it. I love how cheap it is, I love how I don't need to worry too much if I lose it or wreck it, and I love that I can buy lots of it. 


But I don't love that it turns my skin green. Green skin is just not a look I'm into right now. This happens because of the reaction between the metals in the costume jewelry and your skin. They just don't like each other. 

I have been using a trick to combat this issue! And I am here today to share it with the world. It's not exactly a secret so some of you may already know: Clear nail polish. 


I put a coat of clear nail polish on the inside of the jewelry. Not only does this trick prevent you looking oddly green, it also prevents your jewelry from tarnishing. After a few wears, the cheap stuff has a tendency to lose it's shine and sparkle. The clear nail polish acts as a varnish to keep it from dulling. AND! If you have any little crystals embedded in the jewelry, the nail polish seals it in so they won't fall out.


I find this is most necessary on rings as they sit close to your skin for long periods of time. Necklaces and bracelets usually move around and are less likely to leave you with a green hue. But it's so good to keep the shine and colour of the item when you first buy it. 

If you try this trick, make sure to reapply the polish once in a while as it wears over time. 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I would not have thought of this. I wore a sterling silver wedding ring set before ordering my official new ring (my first ring was supposed to be scratch-proof, but was not). I still wear it on some days. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I had no idea. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what a great hack - thank you!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never actually heard of this trick..love it! Also loving your jewelry stand..so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this to my favorite rings!! such an awesome trick and it really does work soooo well!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I used to do that all of the time! Such a great trick to use. I used to do that with all of my rings that weren't silver.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trick! I stopped buying cheaper jewelry for that exact reason!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness... Love this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete