Thursday, June 11, 2015

Reading Lately: Room

Room by Emma Donoghue is one of my favourite books. I first read it a few years ago and reread it very recently.

I mainly love it because it is written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy. You can see his innocence, inexperience and naivety in his thoughts. But he's so sweet and loving. The different perspective is something so different and interesting than the majority of books out there.


Summary from Wikipedia:

Jack lives with his Ma in Room, a secured single-room outbuilding containing a small kitchen, a bathtub, a wardrobe, a bed, and a TV set. Since it is all he has ever known, Jack believes that only Room and the things it contains (including himself and Ma) are "real." Ma, unwilling to disappoint Jack with a life she cannot give him, allows Jack to believe that the rest of the world exists only on television. Ma tries her best to keep Jack healthy and happy via both physical and mental exercises, keeping a healthy diet, limiting TV-watching time, and strict body and oral hygiene. The only other person Jack has ever seen is Old Nick, who visits Room at night while Jack sleeps hidden in a wardrobe. Old Nick brings them food and necessities. Jack is unaware that Old Nick kidnapped Ma when she was nineteen years old and has kept her imprisoned in Room for the past seven years; Jack is the product of Old Nick's rape of Ma.

Jack is living in a very blissful world. He knows nothing different from his existing, confined life. It's so hard to imagine what he is experiencing but the author does a great job of describing it. Overall this is an eerie book that covers a really dark situation. It me a while to figure out what was happening the first time around but once I did, I was on the edge of my seat for the rest. It's so scary to think that this story is based on multiple actual events.


The first time I read it, I was thinking about it for weeks. I couldn't get it out of my head. And now reading it again, I am looking at it more from a mother's perspective. What it must have been like for Jack's mother to raise him in a tiny room and try to make his life as "normal" as possible. This quote sums it up perfectly: "When it’s over you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days" Yup.


I highly recommend this book. It's so eerie, different and interesting. And SO very well written. I will definitely be reading it again. 


And I just found out it's being adapted into a movie later this year. Hurray! 

6 comments:

  1. This has been on my reading list for legit over a year! Mugs always checked out at the library... Except in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get out! I read this book in 2011 and was OBSESSED. I reread it the second I finished it. It hooked me from the very beginning and I felt so bad for the mother. I always remember how she made them run around the room for "exercise", doing what she could to keep them sane. I recommended it as well 500%. That's amazing it's going to be a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book sounds so interesting and I need to get it stat!! I love books that make you think and are based on actual real life events! It's on my short list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds incredibly eerie but like it would draw you in from the first chapter!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book haunted me too. I'm excited about the movie!!! I didn't know they were making it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea this was becoming a movie! I read it years and years ago, and I still find myself thinking about it from time to time. Something about it made such a lasting impression. Whenever I see sheds I think of it! I know the movie will probably be hard to watch at times, but I will definitely be going to see it.

    x. Morgan / www.morningappleblog.com

    ReplyDelete