Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Teacher Wife Life

This time of the year is bittersweet. Sweet because we finally have beautiful weather and long sunny days. Bitter because life doesn't stop in the summer time. At least mine doesn't.



You may already know that my husband is a teacher. Which means a number of things. He gets to sleep in til the time I take my lunch, he gets to stay up late, he gets to devote hours upon hours on his hobbies, he gets to be outside as much as he wants. The list goes on and on.

So this is a little complain-y post from yours truly. Because the first little bit of July is always hard for me. Because I'm jealous. And that's hard for me to say. I think the hardest part is dragging myself out of bed knowing that he still has hours of sleep ahead of him. I love my sleep.

But the reality is that I didn't choose to be a teacher. I don't think teaching is for me. And I like my job! But I am surrounded by teachers. Many of my family members and friends have the summers off and it's hard to ignore that. It is a little bit of a running joke that I am the only one that works during the summer.

To combat this, I have taken a few days off from work this week to enjoy the beginning of summer with Mike. Having a vacation to look forward to really helps keep my spirits up. We have a little something exiting planned that involves lots and lots of fireworks! We will be celebrating two great countries this week! The other great thing is that my job offers shorter hours during the summer. I have been around long enough to know that is a huge blessing. I am so grateful for this!

I am calling all those that work normal year-round schedules. I know that there's lots of us! I refuse to be (too) mopey these next couple of weeks.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing is worse than having to drag yourself out of bed with sleep envy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you took a few days off to enjoy the first few days with your husband and now you'll get to sleep in too! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so envious of all my teacher friends this time of the year (and holidays!) Enjoy your time off with your husband!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic would it be to take summers off and get to enjoy!! It's great that you have been enjoying a few days off with him though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sort of relate to some of this. My husband is in upper managment for one of the retail chains. He doesn't get the summer off, but he takes road trips for work, and I can't go because his company pays for it (no guests/companions allowed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I get up for work, I'm always envious of the sleeping man next to me, he still works during the summer just at night, so he can sleep in until Sophie gets up and I'm waking up at the crack of dawn. Enjoy your days off!

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man.. that is so hard! Glad you took a couple days off together and to make the transition a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously kick myself for not becoming a teacher. It sounds so ridiculously nice to have holidays and summers off...

    ReplyDelete