Thursday, July 30, 2015

Guys Behind The Blog - July

It's that time again! The time where our favourite men sit behind the laptop and answer a few questions. The lovely Betsy at Heavens to Betsy hosts this monthly link up called Guys Behind The Blog. I love that you get to hear a little from Mike. He's honestly such an amazing husband and I am one very lucky lady! 

(Dining in Warsaw, Poland - 2014)


This month's topic was all about food, something Mike feels very passionately about! 



Q: What is your all time favourite food?

A: Attention people who make up these questions: Why must you torture me so? Anybody who knows me knows that I love to eat. Asking me my favourite food is like asking a parent to choose their favourite child, but only if they had a kid that they liked way more than the others, and if that kid’s name was pizza. It seems so typical that a guy loves pizza, but I just can’t get enough of that cheese and bread and sauce combination. And meat. Mmmm… meat. I could eat pizza every day for every meal and never get tired of it. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small, independent place, or if it’s a chain like Pizza Hut, or even a frozen pizza. Give me tons of cheese, a mountain of meat, some mushrooms, and a doughy crust and I am in heaven.


Q: Who is the cook between you and your significant other?

A: I’d say that we share the cooking duties fairly evenly. I often get home before Evelina, so I’ll get dinner started. I think we can admit that neither of us are fairly adept in the kitchen yet and are still getting used to having to prepare our own meals, but we are learning and getting better together. Typically if dinner prep involves chopping vegetables or getting messy, I’ll leave that to Evelina. My specialties are grilled cheese (I know, we’re talking some fine dining here) and French toast.


Q: What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?

A: Every year we go to my mother-in-law’s place for a traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner. This typically involves about 12 different courses of fish based dishes. Neither Evelina nor I are big fans of fish. I don’t mind salmon, and I’ll have lobster or cocktail shrimp, but if I’m going to have fish it pretty much has to be deep fried and covered in a ton of batter. Unfortunately, none of that is on the table despite the seemingly endless plates of food. One of my first Christmases there, I wanted to be polite and impress the potential future family and tried everything. One of those dishes was some casserole that had a ton of fish and vegetables in some jello like substance. I’m sure some people enjoy this and I’m sure it was prepared well, but it was probably the weirdest, grossest thing I’d ever tasted. It’s a good thing my mother-in-law is the coolest and despite my best efforts to conceal my true feelings, could tell that I absolutely was not feeling it and told me that I didn’t have to eat it. I’m sure she appreciated me giving it my all though!


Q: Are there any foods that you absolutely detest?

A: The only thing that I will absolutely not eat under any circumstance is anything with horse radish. There have been only two instances in which I have consumed horse radish – both were given unbeknownst to me – and neither went very well for me. That’s pretty much the nicest way I can put it. The last time was at Panera Bread when I ordered a steak Panini and they snuck some horse radish in there. Totally ruined my meal. Thanks, Panera! If you’re planning a dinner and I’m invited, please keep the horse radish off of my plate.


Q: What is your favorite local, little-known, or hole in the wall place to eat?

A: I’m not one of these food hipsters that has to only eat at independent, local places. Food is food, and I can find something delicious everywhere. With that said, there are some places that are unique to my area that I would be absolutely devastated if they were to go away. My favourite, not surprisingly, is my favourite pizza place called Mr. Grande Pizza. They certainly live up to their name as their pizzas are huge. One place where they do not live up to their name? The prices. If you get a large pizza from there, you better have a mini van or an empty trunk, because that sucker is not fitting in your backseat. Or, you can get a slice that is the equivalent of about a quarter of a pizza with a Coke for $3. I’m not sure how they make money with these sizes and prices, but I’ve been going there since I was in high school and can’t get enough. I haven’t even mentioned that it’s the best tasting pizza in the city.

As you can see, Mike loves pizza! So it's basically a requirement that he eats it at least once a week. I can't wait to read the other husbands' answers! Any other pizza lovers out there? 

17 comments:

  1. I'm a pizza lover!!! & so is Joshua :) we love making it homemade together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with mike on cheese and pizza! YES! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I completely forgot about this!

    Mike's response to the first question was hilarious. That's something I would say. I love eating. And we're both pizza lovers, makes me want to have pizza tonight.

    What's the polish dish he's talking about? Last year Kyle had something like that (not polish) but where it was a traditional dinner served in our family and he was just bleh...

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this!!! You're husband's responses are all so great!!! And come on, how could you not love pizza!! I could probably eat it every day too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE HORSE RADISH! I will eat it for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the best! and Mike is such a good man to play along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bahahaha! Love this! Pizza, grilled cheese and French toast - he is a carb lover all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta like that carb loving Mike! What a corker! Funny stuff, fun couple you must be! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love posts like this! I will be doing one soon. I hope you stop by! - Seri from www.Serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, Betsy and I got in trouble with our questions! He cracks me up. We thought food would be a great topic for the guys and it looks like it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I'm pretty sure my hubby would have answered that first question similarly! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 12 courses of fish?! Whoa! Sounds like you have to come hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These posts are so fun! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaaaand now I want some grilled cheese. haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your husband likes to talk and is very passionate about eating :) I love it! I'm with him though... I literally could probably eat pizza all day everyday. In fact, we had homemade grilled pizza last night for dinner, as leftovers for lunch, and are going to our friends house tonight for pizza lol. I think we would all get along well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha, I totally agree about pizza. From frozen, to chain, to Costco, to quaint independent restaurant- it is alllll goood.

    ReplyDelete