Thursday, August 6, 2015

You Know You're Canadian When...

I was born in Poland and moved to Canada when I was 5. So I have had some time now to realize what being Canadian really means.



You know you're Canadian when...

...most of your friends are immigrants (or at least their parents are)

...you can hear a different language being spoken in every aisle of the grocery store

...you buy milk in bags not cartons

...all your products have French labels on the other side of the box

...you buy Coffee Crisp, ketchup chips, and beavertails

...you pay attention to the exchange rate when online shopping

...you order things to a mailbox across the border to save on shipping

...you don't measure things in inches/feet/miles, ounces, or Fahrenheit

...you look forward to Roll Up The Rim To Win every year

...you don't have access to Target, Dunkin Donuts, Sonic, Chick-Fil-A, Trader Joes (and many more, sad face)

...hockey is on all the time

...you spell certain words with an additional "u"

...you have a Prime Minister, not a President

...your money is colourful

...you have free healthcare

...you don't have access to superbowl commercials or some channels

...many online streaming sites are blocked due to "not available outside of the US" (ie, Hulu)

...people outside of North America call you American because it's all the same to them

...you went to grade one, not first grade

...no one cares about Canadian college sports

...you don't have to pay taxes on lottery winnings

...you can drink alcohol at age 19 ( or 18 in some provinces)

...alcohol is very expensive

...people think you constantly say "eh"

...the alphabet ends in zed


10 comments:

  1. Eh? Milk in bags???? See what I did there haha.

    What is this, I need a picture of this. What are beavertails?

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! There are so many things about Canadians that I didn't know! :) So many of these things make no sense to me. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! My hubby and I totally want to visit Canada (he's a huge hockey buff) and I just want to visit PEI (Anne nerd) I may need to learn more about coffee crips and beavertails ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, we had milk in bags for our school lunches in elementary school for a while and I remember being so confused, lol! No Hulu?? I would cry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about so many of these! Milk in bags? No Target?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear that you all refer to Kraft boxed macaroni as "Kraft dinner". But, a rose by any other name will smell as sweet, and that stuff is good at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beavertails!!!!! Oh my gosh, and coffeee crisp and aero bars. Sigh. Canada, you have my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh really interesting to read! I had no idea you could get milk in bags!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I was born in Canada and raised there until I was 12, and some things make me realize that I've been out of Canada for a long time! For example, no target or hulu would make me cry. But you don't even know what I would do for some Timmy's right now.

    ReplyDelete