Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Frame Game

We have a gallery wall in my house that I am completely and utterly in love with. We originally completed it in March 2013 but since it still makes me smile every time I look at it, I thought I would share it here on the ol' blog. And who doesn't love a little gallery wall?


It is located along a stairwell going upstairs in our house. A little awkward to photograph, but bear with me.

My aim was to have frames of different sizes and textures, but I wanted them to all be white. I had gathered a bunch from second-hand stores that I painted (with baseboard paint) and filled in some gaps with Ikea frames.


Once all the frames were painted and ready, I traced their outlines onto fliers. I didn't find any good deals, in case you are wondering.

I stuck the newspaper cutouts on the wall with masking tape and moved them around approximately 34,567 times. Then I moved it some more the next day. I have to admit that I was very nervous about the placement prior to nailing them in for forever. Doesn't that sound so scary? 

I started off with a small grouping and it looked so weird.



I like it, just not for the staircase. Something like that would work for a non-sloped area like above the couch or bed. I thought the gallery wall should "move" with the flow of the stairs.



Better! 

We put the nail/screw right through the paper and didn't really bother to look for studs since most frames were super light. Level it out, and then on to the next one...and the next one. And the next one. It took forever.



38 frames and 3 weeks later, our gallery wall was complete. Really, this project could all be done in a weekend but I dilly-dallied quite a bit. I struggled with committing to frame placement and then matching a picture to a frame. 

We mainly chose photos of our families, friends, and pets, along with some of our favourite photos from our wedding. I also threw in a few cute printables we made slash found online.



Since then, we painted the walls in our house to a soft grey (Maui Mist by Behr) and said goodbye to that dated vanilla colour. 






Some of the photos will need to get changed out soon to include recent ongoings and, of course, our brand new nephew <3

It's one of my favourite spots in the house and I often pause on my way up/down to stare at the pictures. 

13 comments:

  1. Love it! Did you have to re measure everything when you painter or did tmyou leave the nails in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm obsessed!! I loooooove it! And I love that it's along the stairs! No one ever does anything with that wall space so I'm totally keeping this in mind if we ever have a home with stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelina...this is beautiful!!!! Number one reason why I want a staircase in our next home. Purely for a gallery wall. Our gallery wall right now consists of print outs of Sophie taped to my side of the bed...

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came out awesome! Love the color you painted the walls with the way the white frames pop against it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your gallery wall!!! I love that you used the same color for all of the frames and the way you have them hung is perfect!!! I have been dreaming up a gallery wall for my living room the last few years and I have just never made it a reality yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gallery wall looks amazing!!! I have been wanting to do something like this for our living room but haven't gotten around to it, you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stairway gallery wall is so iconic, I'm dying to have one in my future home. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I want this! We hung 8 frames in my office and it took all day! I cannot imagine 30+ frames. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ive always wanted to do a frame wall but Im not creative so I cant figure out how to fit things together to make it look right. Yours turned out amazing!! I need to use you for inspiration haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fantastic!!! I've always wanted one of these in my house too, but never wanted to put in the work, if we're being honest here hah! It looks amazing here, and I LOVE the new wall color too. Well done!

    (popping over here from Emma Constance Photography)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Seriously it looks AMAZING. I wanted a gallery wall along our stair way when we moved into our townhouse with a stair case but the stairs are so skinny that I thought it would look too cluttered. But I was using black picture frames. Maybe if I went with white, it would be better? But I'm also afraid Mason will knock them all down... something to think about. Pinning yours so I can reference it later!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The newspapers! OMG! Why didn't I think of that!? You're a genius!

    xoxo,
    WWW.THEFRUGALBLOGGER.NET
    INSTAGRAM
    FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually sort of like the vanilla color (I often like stuff that is now considered to be outdated, though), but I think the soft grey goes much better with that carpet.

    ReplyDelete