It is located along a stairwell going upstairs in our house. A little awkward to photograph, but bear with me.
My aim was to have frames of different sizes and textures, but I wanted them to all be white. I had gathered a bunch from second-hand stores that I painted (with baseboard paint) and filled in some gaps with Ikea frames.
Once all the frames were painted and ready, I traced their outlines onto fliers. I didn't find any good deals, in case you are wondering.
I stuck the newspaper cutouts on the wall with masking tape and moved them around approximately 34,567 times. Then I moved it some more the next day. I have to admit that I was very nervous about the placement prior to nailing them in for forever. Doesn't that sound so scary?
I started off with a small grouping and it looked so weird.
I like it, just not for the staircase. Something like that would work for a non-sloped area like above the couch or bed. I thought the gallery wall should "move" with the flow of the stairs.
We put the nail/screw right through the paper and didn't really bother to look for studs since most frames were super light. Level it out, and then on to the next one! ...and the next one. And the next one. It took forever.
38 frames and 3 weeks later, our gallery wall was complete. Really, this project could all be done in a weekend but I dilly-dallied quite a bit. I struggled with committing to frame placement and then matching a picture to a frame.
We mainly chose photos of our families, friends, and pets, along with some of our favourite photos from our wedding. I also threw in a few cute printables we made slash found online.
Since then, we painted the walls in our house to a soft grey (Maui Mist by Behr) and said goodbye to that dated vanilla colour.
Some of the photos will need to get changed out soon to include recent ongoings and, of course, our brand new nephew <3
It's one of my favourite spots in the house and I often pause on my way up/down to stare at the pictures.