Sunday, September 27, 2015

September 27th

Warning: this post contains corny content. Proceed at your own risk.

September 27th is the day that Mike asked me to be his girlfriend.

We met in university when I was in my second year and he was in his third. And since I was 19 and he was 20, we were still at the age where the boyfriend/girlfriend question had to be asked. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were walking through the middle of campus, holding hands when he asked me. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever, and still do.
Since graduating, we have made it a tradition to go back to our campus to celebrate that special day when it all began. We usually have dinner and walk around campus reminiscing about the good old times, and feel really old. Every year we ask ourselves, "Do you think people can tell that we aren't current students? We look about the same age as them, right?" Pffft. I wish.
It is so nostalgic to visit the campus every year. Last year, it happened to be the homecoming football game so we got tickets and sat in the alumni section. This year it was Sunday and unfortunately mostly everything was closed but we sat on a bench and talked about bringing our kids here on our future dating anniversaries. Next year will be a Tuesday (leap year!), and I am trying to convince Mike that we should sit in on a night class.
The past eight years have been so wonderful and I am so grateful that we met as early as we did so that we get to spend more of our lives together. I'm so grateful that we both happened to choose the same school and that our circles of friends intertwined.
We celebrated this day four times and after we got married, we didn't want to stop. I know it's corny but it's one of our little traditions that is just between us and I look forward to it every year.

PS - Let's all just disregard that Mike is supporting a different school through his apparel. Poor planning.

10 comments:

  1. I am in love with the fact that you celebrate this day every year (so important to me) and I think it's just so sentimental and such a sweet thing that you do it every year. I know many people don't celebrate the day they became someone's girlfriend/boyfriend. I know Kyle and I don't, we just celebrate our anniversary the marriage one.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are SO CUTE. I love this idea!!! I was wondering why you posted 9.27.2007 on IG but now it all make sense! Happy date-iversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious! You guys are so romantic!!! And wow campus looks STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cute! I think you guys can still pass for college students! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. darling! I love that you still celebrate that date! I remember the event that J asked me to be his gf but not the date, you're lucky. That campus looks beautiful. I would love to roam it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! This is so sweet! You two are adorable! And your campus is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you guys celebrate this day!!! I usually try to acknowledge the day that Chris and I met every year. Some people think it is corny but I think it is sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's incredibly sweet and love that you celebrate it! You two are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is not corny at all! I love here love stories, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete