Friday, November 20, 2015

Guys Behind The Blog: November

Mike is back! And clearly this month's questions were a perfect fit for him because he had a lot to say! It's all about sports. Sports are his passion.

This is one of my favourite link-ups. It is hosted by Betsy at Heavens to Betsy and Laura at According to Laura Jean. It spotlights the amazing men in our lives by asking them a few light-hearted questions. I always love hearing from the guys! 

Ready?

Q: What sports did you participate in as a child? What sports did you watch growing up?
A: Growing up in Canada, one would expect that I was obsessed with hockey and played hockey as per the stereotype, but I am not even able to skate. I can recall my dad, who played hockey, taking me to skate and I was just having none of it. Too cold and too slippery for me. My brother and I both played baseball and basketball growing up. Not coincidentally, those were also the sports we watched. We watched a bit of football too, but baseball and basketball, particularly college basketball tended to occupy our television. 

Because of a late growth spurt, I gave up playing basketball in high school. It didn't quite work playing a sport that required you to run fast and jump high when you were playing against people way bigger and stronger than I was. It was around this same time when I realized that I could throw a baseball fairly hard and pitching didn't really require me to be big and strong like basketball did, so I chose baseball. I took baseball very seriously and ended up playing collegiately and at the semi-professional level.

Mike, age 4 (1991)

Q: If you could line up your ideal Super Bowl, who would be facing off, where would they play and who would you pick to win?
A: If I could lineup my ideal Super Bowl, the University of North Carolina would be playing either NC State or Duke and they'd be playing it at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill. Oh wait, you said Super Bowl, so I can't choose college teams! I don't have a team I really root for in the NFL, I mainly just watch players from my fantasy team and guys who played at UNC. This year, I'd say I'd want Green Bay to play the Patriots and play in an outdoor stadium in the snow. One of my favourite football players is Julius Peppers for Green Bay because I remember when he played basketball at North Carolina and I think it's pretty awesome how he was capable of playing for a Final Four basketball team and also be an All-Pro player in the NFL. I'd like to see him get a Super Bowl ring. As for the Patriots, I like how everybody hates them and think they cheat, but all they do is keep winning. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a Patriots fan, but I have a ton of admiration for how consistently good they are. 

UNC @ Pitt (October 2015) - read about it here

Q: Do you prefer the summer or winter Olympics? If you could participate in one Olympic sport, what would it be?
A: I feel like the summer Olympics are the "real" Olympics. When I think of the Olympics, I think of track and field, and the decathalon and events like that. However, as Canadian, I prefer the winter Olympics. Why? Because we are really good at the winter Olympics, and if the Olympics are about anything, it's blind patriotism. While I don't play hockey, I really like hockey in the Olympics, and we always have one of the best teams. If I could participate in any Olympic sport, it'd be baseball. It was removed from the Olympics a couple of years ago, but it will apparently be reinstated in for one of the next games. True story - I've played on the same baseball team as a few guys who played in the Olympics.
July 2008

May 2010

Q: What is your favorite food to eat at a sports party (ex: World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, etc.)?
A: My favourite food to eat at a sports party is definitely pizza. That's not really saying much since my favourite food to eat at any time is pizza, but I feel like it goes especially well with a big game.

Q: Who is your all time favorite athlete and why?
A: My favourite athlete is a topic that I could probably write a 10,000 word paper on. Even though my all-time favourite team is UNC's basketball team, baseball is my true love, and my hero is Pedro Martinez. When I was old enough to start really following sports and when I started to take pitching seriously, Pedro Martinez was at the top of the baseball world. I don't want to bore you with statistics, but one could make an objective case that from 1997-2003 Pedro Martinez was the best pitcher in the history of the game. That he was inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer pretty much adds credibility to that argument. But anyhow, Pedro was the best. Despite being thin and 5'10, he completely dominated a sport that was at the time dominated by hitters jacked up on steroids. And the best part was that I felt I could be like him. I was also small, I was also right handed. I learned how to throw the same pitches he did. My delivery and mannerisms ended up resembling his. I wore #45 just like he did. I wore the same Rawlings glove that he did. I travelled to Boston to watch him play many times, and flew to New York to watch him pitch in the World Series in 2009. In January of 2012 I flew to Boston to meet him at a charity event. I'm so sad that I can no longer watch him play since he retired in 2009, but there will never be another Pedro.

Twins

Mike flew to Boston just to meet Pedro! (January 2012)

Thanks for reading! Have a great weekend! 

5 comments:

  1. Such a fun Q&A - love the throwback picture!! Have a great weekend! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he takes his sports seriously! Do you guys watch curling then? My husband loves it and got hooked on it from playing Wii Sports lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he really loves UNC? I live not too far from the UNC/Duke/NC State area but I don't like any of the 3! Great answers! And love the flashback picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this post was right up his alley! And how stinkin cute is that picture of him from 1991? I die. So cute! I still need to ask Seth my questions but I know he will be excited. I mean, he loves to talk sports!

    ReplyDelete