Monday, January 18, 2016

FH Travels: NYC (December 2015) - Part One

It has always been my dream to visit New York City during the holidays and this year we did! Mike and I went the week before Christmas and had such an amazing time. So amazing that I didn't want to leave! New York is such a magical city full of life and excitement. We went a couple years age and I honestly wasn't expecting to go back so soon. So last time, we made sure to see all the big things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, a show on Broadway, a Yankees game, etc. This allowed us to do all the things we missed on this trip. And since we kept really busy, I am going to split up the recap of our trip into a couple very picture-heavy posts. 

We flew in a clear Friday night and got the best view of Manhattan from the airplane! 


The first leg of our trip was in Brooklyn, centred around the UNC game. I'm pretty sure that's how the idea of this trip first came into fruition. I didn't need a lot of convincing though. We happened to bump into the team before the game and Mike met all his favourite players and best of all, Coach Roy! I think that was the highlight of the week for him. 



The game was a success and we stayed to watch the Kentucky/Ohio State game afterwards. 




After the game, we went to Grimaldi's in Dumbo for pizza, and oh. my. god. My life changed during that meal. Best pizza I have EVER had. If you can only eat one meal in New York, this should be it. I have since tried to replicate the experience in other supposedly-similar restaurants, to no avail. 



Before leaving Brooklyn, I was set on going to see the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. We went at night and they were so beautiful! There were a bunch of photographers with tripods taking photos because the views were so breathtaking and iconic.





That last picture may be my favourite picture I have ever taken. Can you spot the Empire State Building through the tower of the Manhattan Bridge? It looks so tiny from this far away! 

So that was our little stint in Brooklyn. I really loved Dumbo -- the cobblestone streets and gorgeous views of Manhattan were perfection. 

Stay tuned for more! 

15 comments:

  1. That is awesome you got to see the team! Mike must have been on cloud 9! What kind of camera or phone did you take the bridge picture with? Gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYC is seriously one of my most favorite cities! Always something fabulous going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are giving me serious wanderlust!! i need an nyc trip asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to NYC but I've always wanted to go during the holidays too! And I need to get life-changing pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I love all the Tar Heel related things, but your pictures are stunning. The last one needs to be in a magazine. The perspective is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great pictures you took! Cant wait to read about the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous! I want to visit NYC so bad. My hubby doesn't seem to be too sold on the idea so I may have to go with some girlfriends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that first picture! You can really see where Central Park is since it is totally dark in the middle of all those lights. And that last picture is AMAZING too! I've always wanted to go to NYC in the winter! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking over the Brooklyn bridge is definitely is just the best - I think I might have the same last picture!! Side note - that pizza...um want that for breakfast!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had the perfect trip to NYC! Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at night is perfect! Everything is so pretty! And LOVE that last pic!! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are perfection! Looks like y'all had a great time. We have a Grimaldi's in Greenville and it's one of our favorites! I didn't realize it was a chain when it first came to town but I'm sure the original is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUCH beautiful pictures!!! Grimaldi's is perfection...every time I eat there, I never want to leave! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a fun stay - fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omgoodness this looks amazing! Those photos are GOREGOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT bridge photos, particularly that last one. Large print for your walls, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete