Monday, February 22, 2016

Recipe: Apple Strudel

This weekend my mom and brother came over for a little visit. And one of my favourite things to do with my mom is absorb as much of her cooking skills as possible. Her apple strudel is delicious and I was surprised at how easy it was to make!


We made it together (mainly with her overseeing and me doing, as per my request) and I will definitely be making this on my own going forward. Especially in the summer, when apples are local, fresh, and super cheap!


Ingredients
- 10 apples of your choice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 box of phyllo pastry
- 100g of pecan pieces
- 18g vanilla sugar
- oil

Directions
- Lay parchment paper on cookie sheet and spread oil with pastry brush
- Cut apples into quarters and shred apples using slicing side of a grater (or cut into thin strips)
- Add cinnamon, vanilla sugar, pecans and mix with apples


- Layer 3 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each with oil
- Place filling in thick row on one short end of phyllo sheets, leaving about 1 inch from each end


- Fold the end of the sheet over and continue rolling until you reach the other end
- Pinch the ends together or fold them over to prevent filling from leaking out
- Place the roll on the oiled baking sheet, seam down.
- Brush entire outside of the roll with oil
- Repeat with remainder of filling and phyllo pastry


- Place in cold oven (not preheated) and turn on to 350˚F. After 25 minutes, increase oven temperature to 395˚F for another 10 minutes.


- Sprinkle icing sugar, cut, and serve with ice cream and whipped cream



And enjoy!

I definitely want to make this around Christmas time. One of these rolls would be a great hostess gift!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Well that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!!

    Xoxo,

    Whitney & Blaire

    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely delicious and look pretty easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!

    WWW.AIMEROSEBLOG.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems easier than I thought! I'll definitely be trying it

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this looks so yummy! I want it for breakfast! Although I really feel like mine would not turn out that pretty haha! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks sooo good and what a fun thing to do together!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness... that looks AMAZING! Interesting about the cold oven... I love that seeing as how WAY to often I forget to preheat the darn thing anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! How fun that you learned how to make something so yummy while mom was visiting <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing! I want it...ship some my way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious. I want to try to make them now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! I didn't know it was so easy and yes would be a great hostess gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love baking/cooking with my mom. She knows so much too! It's nice to get that time together where we canjust cook together laugh and talk and have fun. I probably have more fun with my mom now than I did when I was younger. But isn't that how it always works. I'm going to see if I can bake this with my mom.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is phyllo pastry? I've never heard of it before. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious! My husband would love if I made this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOOKS SO DELISH!!

    Shop & Blog | www.DailyOpulence.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and your delicious looking apple desserts!!! You get me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds delicious! Yay for baking with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. omggosh this looks amazing and so tasty! sounds like such a super easy recipe aswell!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh YUM!! You're so domestic! haha I've been trying to be better at making things from scratch vs just buying a premade food. I might have to tackle this when I get better at baking. Baby steps :)

    ReplyDelete