Thursday, March 3, 2016

Snow Daaaaay

I know I promised part two of my NC trip recap (see part one here!) but GUYS. We had a snow day yesterday. It was glorious! Insert dancing girl emoji here.

The weather folks were predicting heavy snow fall starting 5pm on Tuesday up until early morning on Wednesday. I woke up pretty much every half hour checking my work twitter to see if any announcements have been made. And just after 6 in the morning, I got a phone call that all our buildings were closed for inclement weather! Unfortunately, Mike still had to go to work (which is the worst when only one of us gets a snow day!) but I got up with him since I was up anyway.


It's so mind-blowing to me seeing other bloggers posting pictures of sandals and swimming pools. Our winter has been very mild and we were really fortunate to have good weather for our NYC trip so I really can't complain. But I will never turn down a bonus day off and if it takes some help from Mother Nature then so be it.

I tried to make the most of the day by balancing leisure and productivity. I knew that if I wanted to go anywhere, I needed to dig myself out first. It was cold and windy but the sun was shining and it made the shovelling much more enjoyable.


Obviously my first destination was coffee. Duh.


I stopped by my in-laws' house to see if they needed help shovelling their driveway but I forgot that they have an electric shovel so my father-in-law was long done by the time I got there. Maybe we need to invest in one of those. Snow can get so heavy!

I knew I wanted to do some painting around the house so I got in the mood by watching Fixer Upper. That show makes me so very happy.


We painted a lot of the house a few months ago but our ensuite bathroom was still left to do. It was a aqua-turquoise colour and I was over it. Since it's such a tiny space, I knew it wouldn't take long and I figured I can easily knock it out by myself but I slightly underestimated how long it would take to get the room ready for painting. So many things had to be removed and taped off but I did get one coat done yesterday!



After Mike got home, we had dinner and I baked a small batch of cookies. It has been a while since I made cookies but I saw this readymade cookie dough on our last grocery shopping trip and I couldn't resist! Nine minutes later, we were snacking on delicious warm gooey cookies.


To finish off the night, we watched the season premiere of Big Brother Canada. I'm so excited that it's back! It's not as good as the US one but we both still really enjoy it.


It's so nice to have an unexpected day off. But now that we got a snow day and I have expressed my gratitude to the winter gods, I am ready for all of it to melt so that spring can come!

23 comments:

  1. Love that you kept checking your work twitter...whenever we have bad weather in the forecast, I'm constantly waiting on the phone call that school is cancelled or even delayed! Glad you had a great snow day!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow days are the best!!! Sounds like you made the most of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! I love snow days; they are so cozy and the snow is so pretty! Yay or a painting project and some easy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE snow days!!! Yay for cookies, favorite shows and being cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Yay for projects and cookies for all your hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinda jealous of your snow day! Although I'm one of the bloggers you see out at the pool on the weekends so I guess I can't complain too much! And now I really want those cookies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I can't believe your tulips are still alive and thriving!! My roses died last week :(

    Snow days are so much fun, well at least they sound like they are. I don't really remember the ones I had when I was younger. I was about five when we had them.

    Can't wait to see your new finished bathroom! I wish we had the time and energy for painting. I think paint would really help, but like you noted it's lots of work!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous of your snow day!! Gosh, I wish you could send some of that our way! Although, I'm about at the point where I'm ready for flowers and greenery. :o)
    Lindsay
    Lindsay's Sweet World

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snow day looked like a blast! Sometimes I wish SoCal (Southern California) had snow days.

    stay styled,

    Lindsey

    IG: stay_styled
    BLOG: http://staystyledblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish that we had some snow days, but I think that we're just too far South for that! That sucks that your husband didn't get to stay home with you, but it sounds like you were able to get a lot done, not to mention watching a lot of Fixer Upper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I am SO jealous. You have no idea how much I love snow and snow days. they are so cozy!! So much fun to get stuff done around your house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did your snow day right! The snow is beautiful + I'm glad you enjoyed the day off. Aaaand now I want Timbits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss snow days. I haven't had one in forever. Whenever I can't drive into work because of snow, I still have to work from home - boo! Sounds like you had a pretty nice day off! I love me some Fixer Upper - I could watch it all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As much as I love the warmth and sunshine in FL, I do miss snow days sometimes. They're just so cozy, and it's nice to have a much-needed break to relax and get things done :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for a snow day! How lovely! It's so sweet you checked on your in-laws! I'm so with you on loving Fixer Upper. That show is great plus Chip & JoJo are adorable together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are motivated! Pretty sure snow would be my excuse to stay in my pjs and watch movies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like the perfect snow day!! Minus the fact that Mike couldn't stay home. How come you got to and he didn't? Does he work somewhere where there was less snow?
    To be honest it blows my mind that we're wearing sandals in February/March too. Though it has decided to become winter again this weekend when it's supposed to pour... on my work event that is ALL outside. Thanks mother nature. WEEKS of 80+ weather and then we have an event and pouring rain and winds. Crossing my fingers that it holds off until Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most productive snow day ever! Sometimes those bake and break cookies are the best-- soo good and so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY for snow days!! I totally want timbits right now!! I miss my daily tim hortons runs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it a trick of the photo, or is your nail polish color strikingly similar to the old bathroom color? I actually love the color you're getting rid of! And the nail polish. (Feel free to share the polish details) Can't wait to see the finished bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  21. An electric shovel?! My mind is blown.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am also mind blown over the electric shovel. It's crazy how we can live in the same country and have such different climates ie. no snow just wind here in southern Saskatchewan. Good for you getting out of bed at the same time as your partner in crime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh gees! Apparently I am behind in reading blogs on blogger nix my last comment about the snow as I see your now enjoying spring.

    ReplyDelete