Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Women's Day

Today is International Women's Day! Growing up, this holiday was always a big deal in my Polish culture. I know it isn't as widely celebrated in North America, but it is gaining momentum globally. It is often associated with political issues of gender equality but I'm not going to talk about burning bras today.

I think femininity is a beautiful thing and I definitely embrace it. Us girls need to stick together and more than anything, support one another. Blogging has exposed me to such an amazing group of women that is always positive, supportive, and caring. Unfortunately, that is not always the case in social media. There are so many negative comments out there that are between girls. Gossip, rumours, hateful words --- none if it is necessary. That is not the kind of world I would want my future daughter to grow up in. I want her to be confident and proud of who she is.

My wish for today is that us women refrain from the negative comments and lift one another up. Here's to good women. May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them.


21 comments:

  1. It makes me a little sad that International Women's Day isn't celebrated more in the US!! Happy Women's day to you girl!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! Happy Women's Day!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many women cut each other down out of spite and rudeness...Let's hope that doesn't happen today or for the future.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea it was International Women's Day! We definitely need to celebrate that more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen!! I've met some great people through blogging and made lots of friends that I haven't had the chance to meet in person yet. Here's to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Evelina! Every bit of it is so true. We all need to band together and support each other. Happy day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I couldn't agree more! Happy Women's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel awful that I had never heard of International Women's Day until this year. Cheers to you and all the other amazing women out there making this world a better place <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. For sure! I've seen firsthand how terrible girls can be to each other with the ease of social media. I really try to drill in my stepdaughter's head that kind never looks dumb...being cruel/mean does.

    Happy Women's Day to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea this was a national day! You are so right and agree 10000% Your future daughter is going to be so lucky having you as her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES!!! We need more positive comments and encouraging and uplifting of each other instead of all this mom (and women) shaming that's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I had never heard of this day until, well, today!! haha when everyone was posting about it! And I totally agree, as girls, we are already insecure enough as it is. Adding mean comments to the mix is so pointless and doesn't make anyone feel good. Way to spread the positivity :)
    xo C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said! I love seeing women lift each other up and support one another!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So well said, friend!

    Women's Day was a big deal in China (where I lived as a teenager) so I remember the school my mom was a teacher at always having a celebration. Like you said, I'm glad it's picking up momentum here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yas! I think you make a great and interesting point here to in comparing the blogging world to social media. I hadn't thought about it that way before but it's lovely to recognize that the blogging world has been, and is, so supportive of women and other bloggers. Despite the blogging world gaining momentum and huge popularity every single day it's still no match for our global social media spectrum, so it's often discouraging to see so much toxicity on different social platforms, especially between females. I love that I have this corner of the internet and social media to freely express myself without fear of negative comments and hurtful words, but I definitely wish that would transfer over even a little bit to social media.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed! I'll raise a glass to that!

    ReplyDelete