Tuesday, April 12, 2016

FH Travels: Chapel Hill, NC (March 2016)

Over Easter, Mike and I road tripped to Chapel Hill. We had four days off and knew we wanted to go somewhere. We thought about going to Philadelphia because UNC was playing there in the March Madness tournament but ultimately couldn't get tickets at a reasonable price. The next best thing would be to go to North Carolina to celebrate with all the local fans and students. I was really excited just to go on a vacation together and to get away from the cold weather.


It's about a twelve hour drive so we started at 5 am on Friday morning and got there around dinnertime. Mike loves Boberry biscuits from Bojangles so that was one of our food stops on the way down!


We had beautiful weather while we were there. It only rained one night and the rest of the time I didn't need a jacket or boots. It was basically heaven. I wore dresses, capris, t-shirts, sandals and even thought about sunscreen at one point!


Our hotel, The Carolina Inn, was right on campus and it was basically the most gorgeous hotel I have ever stayed at! It is almost 100 years old and has so much character and history. The rooms had four post beds, scalloped bed sheets, and a beautiful grand armoire for the TV. There was a huge porch with window shutters, rocking chairs, and pretty flower beds in front. It was exactly what I picture in my head when I think of Southern life. The hotel was definitely one of my favourite parts of the trip!




This was our second visit to Chapel Hill (read the first recap here and here) but the last time I feel like we spread ourselves really thin because we wanted to explore so many of the surrounding cities. Staying at The Carolina Inn allowed us to be within walking distance of everything we wanted. We spent a lot of time strolling around the campus and getting to know the University better. The architecture of the buildings is so stunning and impresses me every time. The fraternity and sorority houses are like straight out of a movie.




And there was spring everywhere! I already blogged about how captivated I was with the spring happenings in NC. Meanwhile, there are still zero flowers and leaves here in Ontario so looking back at these pictures makes me so happy.




We saw the Old Well, the Bell Tower, the basketball arena, the football stadium, and even a mural of Coach Dean Smith that Mike was excited about.






AND we got to see a baseball game! The university baseball season lasts 6 weeks in Canada and definitely does not compare to college ball in the States. We saw the Tar Heels play against Georgia Tech in warm weather at their gorgeous stadium. Fun fact: Matt Harvey (Mets ace) and Andrew Miller (Yankees closer) are Tar Heels. They lost, but we still had a great time.




Mike's main reason to go to Chapel Hill was to watch the basketball games with other fans. It sure beats watching at home on our couch while I'm next to him scrolling through Instagram. For the first game we went to the Carolina Ale House and the second one we watched at Top of the Hill. They're both on Franklin Street, which is the main drag where everything seems to be happening. The Tar Heels won both games and it was so fun to celebrate with the students and other fans! I definitely got more into it with all the excitement of being on campus. They went on to play in the Championship game which makes for a pretty great season!




It was sad to leave after a great time there, but unfortunately, all vacations have to come to an end. On Monday morning, we again left at 5 in the morning and it was so nice to catch both sunsets. I find that leaving in the wee hours of the morning makes the trip feel much shorter. In West Virginia, we stopped at the New River Gorge to admire the bridge and the Appalachian mountains. The New River Gorge Bridge is one of the highest vehicular bridges in the world and is completely breathtaking.




We hope to go back to North Carolina in the fall, which will make it 3 out of 4 seasons that we will have visited. The drive to and from seems to get shorter every time we go and our road trip radius is definitely expanding. Who would have thought that I would consider a 12 hour road trip to be not that bad!


28 comments:

  1. What a fun trip. I recognized numerous places on your drive. I've driven in those exact spots so many times. Ha ha! Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should road trip and visit the University of Alabama's campus if you want to see beautiful campus buildings and greek houses!!! I'm partial but it's so pretty! So glad y'all had a great time!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip down to UNC! Glad y'all got some good weather, pretty springtime flowers, and lots of time exploring their campus. It is stunning there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a successful trip, love how much of an awesome fan he is! And yay for warmer spring weather and pretty flowers <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always had to go to NC for work, but now I really think we need a trip there. Looks like a great trip!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip and the inn looks beautiful! You two are driving pros!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great escape!!! I loved when you shared the hotel on snapchat - it looked so darling! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've always wanted to go to chapel hill. i had a friend that went to UNC and she always talked about it, how gorgeous it is. this is proof!! what a fun getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful area! Spring time up there and all those blooms are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness those photos are gorgeous- especially that hotel one! I love a good road trip, but 12 hours is pretty darn long. We were rocking those kind of days when we were moving from California and... it kinda sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bojangles is a must for NC! I love the Carolina Inn. It's so pretty. My sister's roommate had her wedding reception there. So dreamy! You can't beat the atmosphere or the views from Top of the Hill, especially on game day. Not going to lie, that bridge made me a little nervous, but it sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful trip! Those flowers, the hotel, the weather - perfection! I should really get my butt down there sometime for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That hotel looks absolutely incredible! I'm glad that y'all had a nice trip down here! If you ever make it a little further south to Georgia let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make me want to visit!! Only 4ish hours away I'm not sure why we've never been

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your roadtrips! So much fun! Ryan and I used to do that too and I can't wait until the kids are a bit older and can last longer than 20 minutes in the car without losing their minds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those flowers are so pretty! And that bridge is gorgeous but I think I'd be terrified to cross it! Kudos to you for spending 12 hours in a car, I hate long road trips. <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to admit, 12 hours sounds pretty painful... but maybe that's because I have kids now, ha ha! But oh my goodness, what gorgeous scenery! I miss greenery and blooms, ha! Arizona is pretty yellow in the spring, but other than that? Brown ;) Anyway, what a perfect vacation! I'm so glad you two got to get away and enjoy that time together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun! Love your pictures and your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cutest travelers EVER!! Look at those blooms! What a fabulous get away!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a GREAT trip. So many beautiful sites too see. I think you made a great choice. Plus a baseball game?! How fun is that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always loved North Carolina baseball! (I used to live inOmaha so I was allll about them at the College World Series!)
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like it was such a fun trip-- all of those flowers blooming are so pretty and the inn you stayed at looks gorgeous! It's so nice when you're in walking distance of places you want to see. LOVE your outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun trip! The campus is GORGEOUS!! I can only imagine how pretty it was in person!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great trip! Wow everything is so beautiful and charming!

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Inn looks & sounds so cute and everything looks so gorgeous down there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. With nasty snow weather yall have been having in Canada, it definitely must have been heaven on earth down in NC.

    The Carolina Inn sounds beautiful, should have taken pictures of the inside too! Will you stay there again when you visit?

    The parts of North Carolina I visited and lived in I don't remeber >_< so it's so nice to see your pictures of what it looks like. At least I think we lived there for a few months.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved seeing all of your snaps when you were on your trip! The North Carolina campus is beautiful, and I love that y'all got to see some spring before heading back home!

    ReplyDelete