Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Masking It

Can I get a praise hands emoji for winter officially being done? Despite a snow storm earlier this month, it is all spring from here on out. I have brought out the maxi dresses and flip flops. Ok, maybe no flip flops yet, but we're close.

Unfortunately winter left behind more than just some gross salt stains on my boots. My skin suffered big time. I already have super dry skin and have dealt with eczema all my life. But these past few months, there would be times when I would step out of the shower and it literally felt like I had a ton of facelifts all at once. My face would get so tight that it would hurt. I would slather on moisturizer every morning, but it just wasn't enough. So I went on a mission to fix the situation. 

Face masks have been all the rage lately, and I truly don't know why I didn't try them sooner. But since I was new to the game, I didn't really know which masks were good. I bought a few little ones to test out. 

yes to coconut fast mask

Let's start with my favourite. The Yes To Coconut Ultra Hydrating Facial Mask. It's a really thick cream that you apply all over your face, leave on for 10 minutes, then wash off. I found this mask to be SO hydrating and effective. I even noticed a difference on my skin the next couple of days after application. It left my face feeling so soft and smooth but not greasy. It has coconut and avocado oils that my face totally loved. And so did my nose -- it smelled amazing! I have tried a couple other products from the Yes To line and so far I haven't been disappointed by any of their stuff. I totally recommend this one! 

The nügg masks found their way into my shopping cart almost purely because of the packaging. They were so cute and tiny, I just couldn't resist. I loved that they were individual pods for per-use basis so if I didn't like them, I wasn't committing to a lot of product.  I used the entire package but there was quite a bit in there that I could've easily saved half for the next application. I bought the nügg Hydrating Face Mask and the Revitalizing Face Mask. Both of them had a more watery, gel-like consistency. The Hydrating one left my face feeling hydrated and smooth, as it promised. The Revitalizing one felt (and smelled) like peppermint gum on my face. It was very refreshing and cool. They have a lot of other "flavours" all of which serve a different purpose and maybe one day I will get around to trying them all, but this time I wanted intense moisture. And I'd give the Hydrating one a 7/10 in that category because it just didn't feel like it was as hydrating and powerful as the Yes To Coconut mask. 

nugg face mask

These days my skin is much happier thanks to these weekly mask applications and much less artificial heat being blown on my face. I also have a fun natural mask recipe made with 100% kitchen ingredients that I can't wait to share!

What do you use to keep your skin hydrated? Do you have any treatments that you recommend? Do you just live in the South or SoCal and have perfectly hydrated skin year-round? You can tell me, I won't be (too) jealous.

19 comments:

  1. Ohh that Yes to Coconut mask sounds amazing! And yes to winter being over! Although we're quickly crossing into summer already here lol!<3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of nugg masks before, but I love how they are individually sized!! I love origins face masks!! xo, Biana-BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love face masks but never get to use them. I'll check these out! I basically just use coconut oil as moisturizer since coconut oil does everything lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. my skin doesn't know what to do now that the weather has turned warm. I really need to do a mask to get it under control!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I need to try a mask! I do live in SoCal BUT since we never get rain and it's so dry here, I definitely wouldn't say my face is hydrated, so no need to be jealous :) I want to try that Yes To face mask! I feel like I need to clean my skin out every so often. It gets kind of oily sometimes and I just need a mask (or a facial - if I could afford it like once a month or so!) to help things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the praise hands for you guys! We didn’t have much of a winter at all. But, I am still glad for Spring. I have been wanting to try the Yes products! I am going to have to grab some next shopping trip! Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Nugg masks, but I'm dying over the name because that's my nickname for Olivia. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried masks either, but this post is making me want to run out and buy these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, definitely picking up that coconut mask soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Yes To products but I have not seen that mask yet. I will need to keep my eye out next time I'm at Target. I am a huge fan of the First Aid Beauty ultra repair cream. It was my go-to this winter to battle my dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at coconut. That mask looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made me LOL with you "perfectly hydrated skin all year long". I have sensitive skin but I find using Cetaphil products really helped me out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, winter is finally over! I definitely need to pick up the YES to coconut mask. Sounds and looks amazing!

    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hands up to the ceiling! Although now that winter is over for us, we're sweating like pigs down here because of the humidity and heat! Barf.

    I've heard about masks but I don't think I've done one. How does it work and what's the point of it? Hydration? Clearing of skin?

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about the dry skin! Gosh, I have so much flaking going on! And yay for winter being over--- albeit leading to a very cold spring!The origins overnight leave in mask is amazing as well And you don't have to wash/wipe it off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for old man winter moving on out for good! That coconut mask sounds amazing :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh girl i got LOTS of ways to relieve dry skin. i have super dry, sensitive skin and i also suffer from eczema.

    1) best thing that made my eczema go away and never return -- i cut grains out of my diet. no joke, i was completely floored that it cleared up my eczema!

    2) hydration: i use a hydrating serum that penetrates deep into the skin, followed by a skin oil (I swear by argan oil) and then a light moisturizer on top. my skin feels amazing all day, no dryness, tightness etc.

    i also use natural products so the argan oil is an organic one from the health food store and my serum and moisturizer are from a local natural store called Pure + Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got the blue Nugg mask in a sample box. I agree it's packaging is adorable!


    Becky
    www.bybmgblog.com

    ReplyDelete