Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Things My Husband Hears - Episode 1

There are certain phrases that pretty much every husband hears. "Can you double check if we locked the front door?" or "We need to turn around. I think I left my curling iron on."

I thought it would be fun to chronicle the weird, silly, and sometimes very stereotypical things that have floated out of my mouth and into Mike's ears. Some will be unique to me and some won't, but all have made me laugh in hindsight.


This month, the subject matter is social media and I KNOW I'm not the only one who has uttered these sentences. Being a blogger, these are almost daily occurrences.

Wait. Don't eat that yet. I need to take a picture. 
Apparently this is Mike's most hated combination of words. He loves eating and isn't fond of waiting. And picture taking is not considered a good reason to wait in his books. Ever since I started blogging, this happens a lot. Of course, the tastier the dish, the more it needs to be photographed, and the more annoyed Mike gets.

Come here. We need to take a selfie in front of this.
To go along with the documentation theme, I like to take a picture of us two in front of whatever landmark or exciting thing we encounter. Mike argues that I could just take a picture of the thing without us in it. My rebuttal? If we aren't in the photo, we weren't there. Obviously. Oh, and I should also mention that he has refused to be in a picture taken by a selfie stick. So there's that too.

Are you looking at the dot or at yourself? Look at the dot.
It's natural to want to see what you look like before the picture is snapped. That's why the forward-facing camera was invented after all! But once you're done, it is crucial to move your gaze to the actual camera. The little dot beside the speaker. Reminders are necessary.

I look weird in that one. Just one more. 
Even if everyone's eyeballs are pointing in the right direction, that does not ensure a good selfie. I have an average of 5 takes of each one because the first 4 are no good. That's a lie. It's way more.

Can you say that again? I want to post it on Snapchat.
So I'm just going to come right out and say it. Mike hates Snapchat. I don't understand because it's clearly the best social media out there right now. There have been situations where he said something noteworthy and I wasn't ready so I asked him to repeat it. Unsuccessfully.

Want to watch my snapchat story?
Since he doesn't have his own account, he misses all of my glorious snaps. So one of the very last things I ask him before he falls asleep everyday is the above. He amuses me and agrees but I know he's majorly rolling his eyes inside. I don't blame him.


Have you said any of these to your significant other? Don't even try to pretend that you haven't!

26 comments:

  1. HAHA yes to all of this! My husband refuses to jump on the Snapchat train so when I show him my snaps he just doesn't get it! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so funny!! The one Gary hear's is I posted a photo on Insta - did you see it - my code for did you like it?! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am DYING!! Amen to all of these, ha ha! The first one is definitely Eric's most hated combo! The second one? Eric is ALWAYS telling me that we don't need to be in the photo for proof that we were there... ummm. Excuse me?!
    And going through my story is the last thing we do together before falling asleep each night as well, HA! Eric is more willing to watch it because of the kids, phew! What's your snap?! I'm courtneybrink on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER look good in photographs and I hate selfies. I just don't have the knack... or the face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that selfie one is the most heard phrase in our house......and the one more, I think Kyle would strangle me if he didn't love me so much. It usually goes like, can we take a selfie? No I look bad in that one, can we take another? And another, and another, and another....At this point Kyle just clicks the shutter button to make bursts.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha- who knew that you were so good at documenting everything! I think I say- can you check if I left on the oven/ curling iron/ closet light/ insert anything that can be turned on at least once a day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL my poor husband hears most of this as well. His favorite is when he can't eat or do something until I take a picture first. Poor guy :-P
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha! Yep! All of these! Our husbands need a support group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOLOLOLOL I'm dying right now! All of these! Well, except for the last two since I don't snapchat, but all of the other ones are things that I say every single day! Oh, and I've totally made my hubs turn around and go back home because I thought that I left the curling iron on. That's happened more times than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah yes!! especially the first one... my husband always asks before he digs into his food at a restaurant bc he knows i like to take pics. whoops! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha this is hilarious bc it's SO true! Oh yes, my husband hears the first one a lot!

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL my husband doesn't have Snapchat either so he always misses my posts. I don't really use it anymore but when I did I'd send him things all the time and he never opened them because the app wasn't even on his phone =( haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dying! I definitely do the hold on, let me take a picture. Or my favorite probably is wait, let me take a picture of your plate it looks prettier. I am notorious for not liking picture of myself so I always say let's take another one. Until finally I just give up. LOVE this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I love this! I take too many pictures of food & I think that it drives my hubby banana sandwich. Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha yes! And id like to add that when I give Chris the DSLR I often have to ask/remind him of the red dot is on my face to make sure I'm in focus and not the trees behind me... Drives him crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! This is AMAZING. I love this and I think I have said every single thing you mentioned. Selfies. Snapchat. Don't eat that. You name it, I've done it. I think Seth is used to it by now and even asks sometimes "can I eat this or do you want to take a picture?" LOL. Have you seen the Instagram Husband video? If not, you need to check it out!
    ps is this a link up somewhere? I'd love to see the other topics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Theres are spot on!! I give Mike big props because Brian will NOT humor me after a certain point lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahaha this is the best. KC hates when I want to take a photo and it interrupts normal life. Like, there is a photo from our trip to disney/universal where he straight up ignored me and took a huge bite out of a cupcake i wanted to photograph... so now the photo has a bite out of it, whatever lol. KC would not say or do anything again for snapchat or a photo haha so sounds like you've got a good one there ;) have you seen the instagram husband video? KC thought it was the funniest thing ever and brings it up every time i want to stop and take a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha I love this post! I don't have a husband, but I am notorious for the, "I look weird in that one. Just one more" line. We can't help that we always want to look our best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HA! Yes, I've totally said nearly all of these! Thankfully Christopher is pretty easy going. He also is into photography so he's been known to pick up a camera and take photos as well. Especially when we're traveling or eating somewhere new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Baha ha! Oh my goodness it is so funny because it is SO true!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are soooooo funny! Our poor husbands!

    ReplyDelete