Thursday, May 19, 2016

Dine With Us

Hi friends!

The other day I came across the MLS photos from when we first laid eyes on our house. Mike and I were house hunting in 2012 around the same time we were getting married. And boy has our little townhouse changed since then!

Our dining room is more of a breakfast nook off of the kitchen. It's so tiny that we can only fit a small table with no more than four chairs around it. I dream of one day having a large dining room so that I can host a holiday dinner with all our family gathered around. I hate that we can't host more than two people at a time with this set up. So the title of this post should be more like "Dine With Us But Only If You're A Couple Or You're Willing To Sit On Someone's Lap."

Let's start from it's beginning. Here's what the space looked like before we bought it:



And here's what we have going on today:


Mike and I eat dinner here every night because I'm not very good at dining on the couch and it feels more civilized. But since it's the main floor is open concept, we can still see the TV. Side note: usually Jeopardy is on while we're eating!

At first we had the entire downstairs painted a soft vanilla colour that I quickly grew to despise. I loved it when I chose it but after about a year I knew it was the wrong decision. I convinced Mike that we needed to paint and that it won't be that big of a chore. Well it was. Because our house is very open, the colour travels and it's hard to stop. After a few paint swatches on various walls, we settled on Maui Mist by Behr.



I'm so much happier with this soft grey and definitely don't plan on changing it anytime soon! Which is music to Mike's ears because that paint job took weeks to finish.


Almost everything you see if from Ikea. I linked the table, chairs, painting, and curtains below. Our table is the Bjursta bar height table and actually pretty comfortable to sit at. The light fixture is from Sears but I'm pretty sure it's discontinued. I think if I was to change anything about this space it would be the light but since we're hoping to move soon, I'll leave it for the future homeowners to enjoy.



I hope you liked my mini tour of our dining space! If you wrote about your dining room feel free to include the link in the comments section. I'd love to see it!

In case you missed it, check out our master bedroom tour!

Source List
- Table: Ikea Bjursta Bar Table 
- Chairs: Ikea Henriksdal Bar Stools
- Painting: Ikea Pjatteryd Picture (I just realized that ours might be upside down, oops!)
- Curtains: Merete Curtains
- Paint colour: Behr Maui Mist



23 comments:

  1. Love the table, and the wall color you chose is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The gray is much better and adds so much light to the room. I love the square table and chairs too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how relaxing your dining room feels! Great choice on repainting it! And we only eat at the table too--you're right, so much more civilized and plus, it's time where I'm not having to compete with whatever sports are on or his phone ha!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable space! I love your dark wood furniture with the light gray. It looks so chic. Great design work!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE how you updated it. gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all have such a cute little dining area! The wall color is perfect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made some major improvements to this space!! So pretty and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the changes you made to this space. Definitely all for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the changes you made to this space. Definitely all for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that gray! We have a similar color in our main living spaces and I love that it's modern and cozy. Moving soon?!? Can't wait to follow that adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh love your little changes! The curtains and the paint look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh love your little changes! The curtains and the paint look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your dining room looks amazing! I love the dark wood table with the lighter chairs.

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so good! I feel you on the painting though! We repainted our whole house when we moved. I thought it would be easy. We're getting professionals next time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely like your touch!!! Far brighter and happier!

    I'm checking out that maui mist because we need a new paint.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks incredible, Evelina! Your version of the room is definitely better than the one before you guys owned the place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Such a difference!!! Very classy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that paint color! We are actually swatting paint colors tonight for our living room and I might have to go pick this color up. Love your little space!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a nice space! We eat at our coffee table which drives me a like nuts, but we don't have space for a table. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your table and chairs! I'm a sucker for IKEA but liked it even before you said it was from IKEA. Also, I love the color you chose to repaint with. That grey looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love everything about your dining room!! And your table and chairs! We had a similar set, but ended up selling it when we moved - I really miss it though! I love the color you went with as well. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this space - it looks so pretty and fancy! Perfect little kitchen nook area!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a huge difference-- I love everything you guys did from the paint color to the new light fixture. We are so, so bad about eating dinner on the couch!

    ReplyDelete