Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Philip's 11th Birthday!

I seriously can't believe my little brother turned 11 over the weekend! It seems like just yesterday he was born but at the same time, I barely remember life without him. Growing up, I always thought I was going to be an only child but always wished for a sibling. As the years went on, I stopped asking my parents for a brother or sister assuming it was too late. And then one day in my 18th year of being an only child, they surprised me with a pregnancy announcement! I was there when he was born and had quite a large part in raising him. Would it be super weird if I shared his birth story from my point of view? We are still so close despite living if different cities. I love him so, so much!

This weekend we celebrated hard because 11 is a big deal! It is his first replicated digit birthday and it's a strobogrammatic prime (same upside down as right side up)! Neither of these facts impressed him but I like to play up the fun in numbers. Another fun fact: 11 is the number of points the leaf has on the Canadian flag! #lameoldersister


Mike is really into shoes and his obsession passion has intrigued Philip so we thought it would be fun to get him his first pair of Jordans as a birthday present! Philip also is starting to show a bit of an interest for the NBA and different basketball players. There was a very limited pair that released the weekend of Philip's birthday so Mike took Philip to wait outside the store an hour and a half before it opened in case there was a huge lineup. There wasn't, but there could have been! Mike often has to wait in lines bright and early in the morning to ensure he is able to buy a pair for himself before they sell out. I joined them a few minutes before the store opened as to not miss the experience. Philip was SO excited to put them on and he was very proud to wear them to school on Tuesday! Also, I think Mike's team preferences are starting to rub off on Mike! I think it's so sweet how Philip looks up to Mike so much.





After the shoes excitement, we took Philip to a local baseball diamond to play some catch and practice hitting. When we asked Philip what he wanted to do on his birthday, that was his first request. I think he was really excited to pick up some pointers from Mike. The weather was gorgeous and we all had a great time throwing the ball around!



After the park and some lunch, we headed to Philip's second requested activity: a trip to SkyZone! I had seen indoor trampoline places on TV and had wanted to go to one for the longest time. Jumping around made me feel like a kid again and I couldn't stop laughing and smiling! It was so fun and definitely a great workout. I was sweating after just a few minutes of jumping! The boys then headed over to the basketball section where you bounce your way over to a net to shoot. They both said that part was their favourite! I managed to get a few pictures from there but I still haven't perfected the art of photographing mid-bounce so pardon the blurriness! I definitely want to go back though!





Once we were all jumped out, we joined my mom for some cake and sparklers. Philip chose an Oreo cake that was so delicious! I am a huge advocate of the birthday person choosing which cake to have and he made a very good choice! I was drooling over a chocolate brownie cheesecake but that will have to wait until December when it's my turn!




Overall I think Philip had a great weekend celebrating his birthday. This year it happened to fall on a Friday, just like when he was born in 2005! I couldn't help but tell him all about that day eleven years ago when he changed my world for the better. He's growing up to be such an amazing person that is so loving and cheerful. Every day he is becoming more mature and someone I can just hang with. He's the best brother I could ever ask for!

I love you, Philip!
________________________

In case you missed it, here's a recap of Philip's 10th birthday!

15 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Happy birthday to your little bro!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww happy birthday to your little brother! So awesome you guys are still close even though you don't live very close to each other! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday lil Bro, So sweet!! He looks so much like his gorgeous sis, you guys are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great time celebrating your brother's birthday this weekend! I love that he got to pick out his cake and what he wanted to do to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, happy birthday to your brother!! Love the sparklers on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so sweet. He is so lucky to have a great older sister like you. I hope his birthday was everything an 11 year old could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun weekend celebrating your brother! You are such a great big sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skyzone looked like so much fun, I was loving your snaps from there! And look at those two in their matching UNC gear! Happy Birthday to your little bro :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your brother! What a great day of celebrating! Love how he is Mike's mini me with UNC. That Oreo cake looks amazing, too. Definitely a good choice by the birthday boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like he had such a fun day celebrating. Happy Birthday to your little brother! And what a delicious choice for a birthday cake!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww happy birthday! Seems like a great day of celebrating!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You definitely look like siblings! I swear you always have those fascinating facts, you also taught me the word onomastics. Youre like the coolest big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to your little brother! I love how close you two are. So sweet. And how special to take him to get the special edition Jordans! I love that. You guys celebrated him so well and I bet he had the greatest time. That cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sky zone looks so similar to a place we have too!!! So much fun!

    it's so nice that you're such a big part of his life :) I bet he looks up to you a lot and to Mike. In two years he'll be 13 eeekk teenage years!
    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete