Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Tasty's Spinach Artichoke Mac & Cheese

I'm back with another Buzzfeed Tasty recipe review! I totally love how they present their recipes in a quick little video format that makes it seem so easy to replicate. And to be honest, we have yet to fail!

This time, we are making their Spinach Artichoke Mac & Cheese. It's definitely more of a gourmet version of the basic dish and has a variety of flavours to hit your palette. We have made this meal a few times and will continue to make it because it's so tasty (pun alert!)


Read til the end for tips on how we made this recipe even better from our own experience!


Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 5 ounces spinach
  • 1 cup artichoke hearts
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups elbow macaroni
  • 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450F. In a large pan, melt butter. Add garlic, spinach, and artichoke hearts, cooking until spinach is wilted. 
  2. Slowly add the milk, salt, and pepper, stir until milk is boiling.
  3. Add the macaroni, cooking until the milk coats the macaroni like a glaze.
  4. Add the cheddar and two cups of mozzarella, stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
  6. Bake for 7 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.

Tips
  • Use way less salt and pepper than the recipe calls for. We aren't bland flavour lovers but what they want is WAY too much
  • We didn't know you could buy artichoke hearts in a can/jar. The first time around, we bought real artichokes and ended up throwing away about 90% of the vegetable. What a waste! 
  • Add more spinach than they suggest. The video makes it seem like they add so much but 5 ounces of spinach is next to nothing once it shrivels up in the pan! We added probably at least triple that amount. 
  • I think asparagus would be another great veggie to throw in there!
  • Add more cheese as the top layer than they ask for. Because there's no such thing as enough cheese, amirite?
Enjoy!

29 comments:

  1. This looks amazingly delicious, I love mac & cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering!!! I love a good mac & cheese recipe! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM!!! This looks so good. Mushrooms would be another great veg to add to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe for weeknights! I love spinach and artichoke and this is such a great twist on that.
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! This recipe is really creative. I never would have thought to combine spinach/artichoke with mac and cheese! Awesome!

    Ashley
    acutelifestye.blogspost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE those darn videos- I get sucked into them like once a day. For some reason I love fresh spinach but cooked spinach makes me want to gag... Everything else looks a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I'm pretty sure that there's a puddle under my desk right now from all the drool! This recipe looks amazing, especially since it combines two amazing things into one, mac and cheese and spinach artichoke dip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, yummy! That sounds/looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Evelina, this looks fantastic!! I'm a sucker for mac n cheese (hello, living in the south!), and I love this variation. I will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy deliciousness! You just combined 2 of my all time favs :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing!! My husband and I would both devour this!! Your photography is also awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look sooo heavenly!!! Please come and make this for me :)

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  14. So food is my love language and you speak directly to my heart (stomach) :) Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This. Looks. So. Good!
    Mac and cheese is the fan favorite for our resident 4-year old, and it gets awfully boring. This looks like just the sprucing up it needs. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks SO fantastic. I HAVE to try this soon. Such a fun twist on a classic dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok this looks AH-MAZING. I think I said that about your last buzzfeed recipe too! I love the little video and how you know what it should look like at each step. Totally making this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, yes YES! This looks so delicious! And I love that it's a bit healthier with the spinach and artichoke too! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always been curious to try Tasty's recipes. This looks so gooddddddddd.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um this sounds incredible!! I have been curious about this as I've seen it before!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG you are making me so hungry. Delicious!! Mac and cheese is a serious weakness for me.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that looks so delicious thanks for sharing.
    My blog: RumelaTheShopaholic

    ReplyDelete
  23. Was my mouth watering the entire video? YES. That looks SO GOOD. I think baby needs it... haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Umm YUM!!! Can you just FedEx some to me please?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gracious, that looks ridiculously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow this recipe looks absolutely delish!!

    Jenna from www.visionsofvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my word, this looks AMAZING. Good to know about the salt and pepper, i actually am a bland food lover haha so i would hate too much.

    ReplyDelete