This time, we are making their Spinach Artichoke Mac & Cheese. It's definitely more of a gourmet version of the basic dish and has a variety of flavours to hit your palette. We have made this meal a few times and will continue to make it because it's so tasty (pun alert!)
Read til the end for tips on how we made this recipe even better from our own experience!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. In a large pan, melt butter. Add garlic, spinach, and artichoke hearts, cooking until spinach is wilted.
- Slowly add the milk, salt, and pepper, stir until milk is boiling.
- Add the macaroni, cooking until the milk coats the macaroni like a glaze.
- Add the cheddar and two cups of mozzarella, stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 7 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Use way less salt and pepper than the recipe calls for. We aren't bland flavour lovers but what they want is WAY too much
- We didn't know you could buy artichoke hearts in a can/jar. The first time around, we bought real artichokes and ended up throwing away about 90% of the vegetable. What a waste!
- Add more spinach than they suggest. The video makes it seem like they add so much but 5 ounces of spinach is next to nothing once it shrivels up in the pan! We added probably at least triple that amount.
- I think asparagus would be another great veggie to throw in there!
- Add more cheese as the top layer than they ask for. Because there's no such thing as enough cheese, amirite?