Monday, May 30, 2016

Weekending

While our friends south of the border are celebrating a long weekend, we are back to normal Monday programming over here. I'm not at all complaining because we had a long weekend last weekend and it was great!

We spent the last few days pretty much everywhere but at home. It feels like we were out the entire time and thus chores and grocery shopping didn't get done which totally throws me off going into the week ahead! But the weather was amazing and I don't regret any of it.

First, I'm going to start with some sad news: My in-laws' dog passed away this weekend. He was an older golden retriever that had been suffering from seizures for a while and they finally took his life. Daytona was such a sweet, sweet boy and my father-in-law especially had a very special relationship with him. They were inseparable and truly best friends. We'll miss you buddy and you have a whole gang of amazing pets to hang out with up in animal heaven.


Saturday morning, we headed out to the States for a little mailbox pickup. We didn't have much time there because we had to be at my father-in-law's birthday dinner for 4pm, but I did manage a quick Target visit (is that even a thing?) while we were there. And I think I found the perfect dress, guys! I actually wanted it in black but my size was sold out so I got it in blush pink because I loved the fit so much. It's such a pretty texture and is cut so nicely. If I come across it in black in my size, I'm totally getting it too. Run!


The border into Canada was so busy and we were almost late for dinner but ended up making it to the restaurant right on time. I started off with a yummy salad and we each got a cupcake to celebrate.



Mike had a softball game on Sunday morning which turned into a fun tailgate barbecue. The weather was gorgeous and we had lots of people there! My mom came and my friends whose husbands play on the team brought their little ones as well. Days like this are totally what summer is all about.



After the game, we went from one barbecue to another. Mike's uncle was celebrating his 83rd birthday (but you'd never know it!) so we all gathered at Mike's cousins' place to celebrate. Aka, my favourite backyard of all time!





And throughout all this busyness, Mike and I managed to watch two movies this weekend! We stayed up pretty late on both Friday and Saturday because I had both of them on my to-watch list for a while.  We watched Lincoln (the 2012 version with Daniel Day Lewis) and Steel Magnolias. Can you believe it was my first time watching Steel Magnolias? It's such a classic! My favourite line was "you know I love you more than my luggage" LOL so random. These are two very, very different movies but neither disappointed!


I hope you have a great weekend!
------
Linking up with Biana at B Loved Boston for her Weekending series! 

19 comments:

  1. Looks like a really great weekend! I still haven't seen Steel Magnolias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about their dog :( That is always such a hard thing. We have a local restaurant in Texas called Montana! It is full of Texas style food, but so good. That one looks amazing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks amazing, blush is your color! That may be my favorite back yard too ;) I havent seen Steel Magnolias either but it has Sally Fields and Julie Roberts, right? Just making sure Im up on my movie knowledge haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the dress! I looked up the black online, and it almost looks like spider webs - perfect for a Halloween party! I maaaaaaaaaaay need it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooo... I love that movie. And I really liked the remake too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is so gorgeous!!! I need to go to Target now and find one too! It's perfect for summer!
    And I totally know what you mean... fun weekends are great but totally throw you off for the week ahead. We just got back from a trip and I should have gone grocery shopping today, but since it's a holiday, Costco is closed and I just feel like being lazy. So I'm catching up on blog reading instead :) not a bad trade off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the doggy :(. I do love that dress, I think I love the pink even more than I would the black too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you saw SM! Such a classic for this Southern girl. My heart goes out to your family for their dog's loss. I love that dress! I need to find it for me! Hope you had a wonderful and fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me want to re-watch Steel Magnolias! Such a great classic! So sorry about your in-laws dog. My parents' dog has been gone a little over a month now and we still miss her so much! They really become a part of the family after all those years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress looks amazing on you! So glad you had a great family filled weekend! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost got that dress, now that I see how beautiful it is on you, I really want it!! Steel Magnolias is one of my top ten!! My heart breaks for you over the loss, pets are so much a part of us. Will be thinking bout you and I hope your week ahead goes great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about Daytona-- he sounds like such an incredible dog and I'm glad you guys have so many memories with him. Love your new dress- never would have guessed it was a Target find, but now I want to go check out the website :) I can't remember if I saw Lincoln, but I've never seen Steel Magnolias and probably should watch it one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your in-laws' dog. It's always so sad to lose our pets.

    You look great in that dress. That color really suits your skin tone and hair color. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your in-law’s dog. That’s so hard! They quickly become part of the family and it’s so hard to let them go. That Target dress is beautiful! I will have to see if ours has one so that I can try it on. Whoa that salad and cupcake both look amazing. Sounds like a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute dog. So sad about it passing -Hanna Lei

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a busy weekend! Steel Magnolias is such a classic - I grew up watching that with my cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your weekend looks like such a blast with some great food too! That sucks that they didn't have that dress in black, but the blush is so pretty too! Hooray for finally getting to see Steel Magnolias, it's such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That dress really is beautiful. I love the blush pink on your. Great finds. Looks like a fun weekend with lots of amazing food.

    ReplyDelete