Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Garden Wishlist

This post definitely makes me feel more adult than not. I'm not a teenager anymore (far from!) and my interests have definitely changed. Ten years ago, I couldn't imagine writing paragraphs on gardening, but here we are. 

Lately I have been dreaming about what our next home will look like. How many bedrooms will we have, how big will our dining table be, should we upgrade from a queen bed to a king? We are definitely leaning towards building our future house through a developer. I am looking forward the newness of a house and being able to customize every little detail. But unfortunately new builds are not known for their large lot size. While I would love to have a huge backyard, that's sadly not the reality in our neck of the woods and we have decided that having a new build is more important for us than a huge lot. 

That said, I have a pretty specific wishlist of things I would love to grow in my garden. Our backyard now is basically the size of a postage stamp and our pending move is deterring me from sinking a lot of effort or money into it. In our new house, I dream of having a thriving beautiful (albeit still pretty small) garden so nurture and enjoy. 

Here are some things that I would love to grow:


Silver birch tree
I have loved silver birches for as long as I can remember. My grandparents used to have one in their front yard until they had to cut it down because their road was getting widened. I remember playing under it for hours at a time. I think the white bark is so beautiful and the leaves turn such beautiful shades of red and yellow in the fall. This is the biggest (in desire, size, and cost) item on my wishlist and I already told our family that I would love to make it happen via multiple Christmas/Birthday presents! This girl wants a silver birch bad.


Mountain ash tree
Another childhood favourite (you'll notice a theme here), the mountain ash seems to be everywhere in Poland. It has a ton of pretty orangey red berries in the fall and I remember playing with them, making necklaces, bracelets, and earrings when I was little. This smallish tree brings back such warm memories and I would absolutely love to have it in our own yard.


Magnolia tree
I don't know where in the world I expect to plant all these trees but a magnolia is an absolute must. It's one of the first plants to flower after a long Canadian winter and it is so striking when in bloom. Every year in the early spring, I drive around local neighbourhoods when magnolias are in bloom just to take in their beauty. 


Lilac bush
Lilacs are in bloom here as I type this and they smell so amazing! It takes every ounce of me to not cut other people's flowers off to stick in a vase at home. I want my very own lilacs to enjoy, preferably in the traditional lilac colour.


Peonies
Speaking of gorgeous scents, peonies are one of the best smelling and beautiful flowers that exist! They are one of my favourites and I will always take as many peonies as possible.


Climbing rose
I planted a climbing rose (Seven Sisters) in my backyard a few years ago (one of the only things growing back there aside from weeds) and it is my baby. This year it has really thrived and currently has dozens of buds ready to bloom any day! I go out there every day to check on it's progress and make sure it is climbing the trellis well. Climbing roses need to be trained on a trellis along a wall or fence to keep their long, heavy canes from laying on the ground. Anyway, I have really grown to love my rose and since I won't be able to take it with me, I definitely want another one!


Vines
I think that a pretty vine growing along walls of the house looks so lovely and charming. I know there are quite a few disadvantages so we will have to do some research and evaluate the decision, but I have always loved the way it looks, especially when the vine changes colours in the fall! Some of the prettiest buildings at my alma mater had pretty ivy and I would take detours to my classes just to take in the pretty sights.


Boxwood
My grandparents have a ton of boxwood which acts as a hedge on the perimeter of their yard. The smell of boxwood instantly transports me there and warms my heart. We have a little bush now but I would love to have a ton of it in our future house. It is perfect for shearing into shapes but my grandparents always had them flat on top so I think I would just do the same. 


Vegetables
And finally, I would love to have a little vegetable garden! Having fresh cabbage, lettuce, beans, basil, mint, etc would be so lovely. "Oh honey, can you go to the garden to pick me some tomatoes for our salad?" Way better than running to the store. Growing vegetables intimidates me the most because it just seems the hardest to maintain. We have a lot of bunnies in our area that I am sure would love to feast whatever food we would have! I would especially love to grow currants (red and white) because (again) my grandparents have a few bushes in their garden and I often went over there for a little snack when I was little. 

Obviously, most of these plants stem from happy memories from my childhood. If I could replicate my grandmother's entire garden, I definitely would. Both my babcia and my mom are so passionate about gardening and I really enjoy it too and would love to make them proud. 

I would love it if you told me that I'm not alone in dreaming of (and intensely planning) a future garden! 

21 comments:

  1. You backyard is going to be such a beautiful serene place when you guys decide to build!! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah such a perfect garden wish list! I’d love to have peonies and vines in my future garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these! We are vibe training a plant in our postage siE backyard (wutg limited sun) right now. It's tough to be patient!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me smile!! I'm all about posies and gardening so I LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda obsessed with ALL of this! I love those silver birch trees, so amazing! And peonies are my favorite! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talking about yard work makes me feel like an adult, too! It's so crazy to think because I definitely don't feel as old as I really am haha! Your new backyard will look great!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these are absolutely beautiful! I desperately want peonies as well, and I also want a Dogwod for my front yard. It's funny how much joy a tree can bring!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesss to all of these! My in-laws have peony bushes and they're so gorgeous/ so perfect for always having fresh flowers inside or for taking to someone. We don't have much of a yard so I'm currently trying to grow zucchini in a container and it was off to a good start but I don't think it's going to end up working out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on this! I want to plant a peony bush as well as some confederate jasmine!

    Zelle
    Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE boxwoods. So classic! And yes, there's nothing that will make you feel more grown up than discussing landscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birch trees are so pretty! And I LOVE lilacs and peonies! My parents have a magnolia tree and, honestly, it's kind of awful. It's pretty when it blooms but they get gigantic over time (theirs is 36+ years old) and they make such a mess when the petals fall (and they're slippery - especially if it rains). Great garden wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a lilac bush growing up and I loved it! My parents had to get rid of it, but I have lots of memories playing by it and taking pictures in front of it! I would love to have a veggie garden, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, yes, yes! Love ALL of your choices. Those birch trees are so magical looking. I grow veggies in my garden every year and there is just something SO rewarding about eating food that you grew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your inspiration. Love peonies and lilac bushes so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have a green thumb at all, otherwise I would totally try to plant my own garden too! I love that you want to have magnolia trees! They're one of my favorite trees, and I'm hoping we'll get one in our backyard soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have some boxwoods at our house! I didn't realize they had a smell! I'm going to have to smell them when I get home. (And look like a weirdo bending down and sticking my nose in them, since they're in the front of our house! Ha!) I'm still not so good at gardening, but I'm loving taking out the things we DON'T want. And I have my first ever hanging basket which makes me feel almost as adult as buying a house does. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A new build?! That is so exciting!!! I adore your garden picks, I would include fruit trees, a lemon tree is a must for me. And chickens. I just gotta!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! All of these plants are lovely and I love that they bring back so many memories for you. I've never heard of silver birches before, but they really are pretty so now you have me wanting one, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Building a house would be my DREAM. If you do that, you'll have to fully document! I'd love to learn more about the process!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel you, I don't think 10 years about I would be blogging about anything I blog about now haha I love these gardens!!! Of course the climbing rose is my favorite one. Can't wait to see your perfect garden someday :)
    xo Candace
    Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those Silver Birch Trees are beautiful! I would love to have some as well. As well as Peonies! Pretties flowers ever!

    ReplyDelete