Thursday, June 30, 2016

Guys Behind The Blog: June

It's that time again!! Mike is back to answer questions for the Guys Behind The Blog series. This month was all about Father's Day but since we aren't parents yet, I tweaked some of the questions to better suit him. I tried to keep the theme going though!
Q: What did you have as a child that kids today don’t have?
A: I think what we had that children today don't have is an imagination. I really don't want to turn this into a "back in my day!" type of answer, but we really didn't have all of the technological distractions that kids have today. I never had a 24 hour a day cartoon channel or all my favourite cartoons streaming online. Cartoons were on Saturday mornings and there were some on immediately after school. Most of the time I watched Saved By The Bell, Full House, Family Matters, and Fresh Prince after school. I never had access to whatever song I wanted to hear at any time. If I wanted to hear a song I used to have to record it from the radio, or save up or ask my parents to buy me the entire tape or CD. While we had video games, we didn't have them wherever we went all the time. There were no iPads to take on car rides, we played games on long car rides. My parents used to ask me to name all the state capitals (even though we're Canadian!) when we'd go on road trips. And instead of being in front of a TV playing video games, I was out playing football, basketball, baseball, or made up games with friends until it got too dark to do so. I know that every generation will look back more fondly on their own childhood compared to the children of today's, but I really believe my generation benefited in a variety of ways from the way we were brought up before the boom of the technological era.

Q: What did you want to be as a child when you grew up?
A: I was a typical boy. I never dreamed of being a doctor, or a teacher, or a lawyer. I always dreamed of being a pro athlete. But although that was what I dreamed of being, I don't think I ever really let it define me as I think I realized how much of a long shot something like that really was. 

Q: What do you imagine fatherhood to be like? 
A: I expect fatherhood to be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I expect to be obsessed with all of the happenings in our child's life. I just want to be a positive influence and role model for our child and to be somebody they can look up to. I hope to pass on good values and a love of the Tar Heels of course!

Q: What is your favourite memory with your dad? 
A: It's difficult to pick just one favourite memory of my dad and I, but one that is currently standing out right now to me is how every time my brother and I wanted something, we knew that if we called our dad at work and asked for it,  it was an automatic yes. I remember my brother and I deciding once that we wanted a couple of baseball hats, so my dad got a call from us while at work, and what did he have with him when he got home? The hats. I think I got my love of sports apparel from my dad. He routinely wore team hats, and you could count on him to wear a matching t-shirt with it. Even to this day, he loves his hat/t-shirt combos. If you guys have seen any of Evelina's snaps or pics here, I'm pretty sure you could notice that I'm the same way.

Q: What is one piece of advice or wisdom you would like to pass on to your children?
A: One piece of wisdom that I'd like to pass on to my children is that no matter how down they might be about themselves, or how scared they might be to tell us that they did something wrong, there is nothing that can't be overcome. People make mistakes, people do wrong, people get in trouble, and I don't want them to be afraid to tell us because they'll think we'll get mad. I'd rather know so that we can help them .... that is unless they tell me that they secretly like Duke. In that case they're out of the family ;)

I can't wait to see Mike in the role of a father one day. I know he will be an amazing one!!

Read more of Mike's thoughts hereherehereherehereherehere, and here
Linking up with Betsy at Heavens to Betsy and Laura at According to Laura Jean. Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! Doesn't it melt your heart thinking of your husband as a dad one day? His answers are great!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun! I was just thinking the other day how different it is for kids these days. When we were growing up we didn't have cell phones and a million tv channels. They'll never know what it was like to not live in a world with endless technology at their finger tips. SO weird! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to having an imagination and playing outside! And loving all the throwback shows, oldies and definitely goodies :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, his answer to the first one is so spot on. We really did grow up so differently than kids today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true about us "older folk" actually having an imagination & playing outside. That's almost unheard of now.

    I also love his answer about his dream job - he was a typical boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. His answers are always so detailed my husband would totally answer one word haha. I'm going to try to keep my kids' childhood experience as technology-free as possible it's crazy how different a childhood can be now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great answers. I started nodding my head when I read #1 it is so very, VERY true. We try and shield our kids from some things for that very reason. He'll make a fine father someday :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! I love how into this he is! <3 My husband would have given maybe a sentence answer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I love all of Mike's answers! I definitely agree with his "back in my day" answer - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love how he really thinks about the questions and gives real answers... He should start a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sweet! I agree with our generation having a great childhood, but it was also a lot safer to be out in your neighborhood until dark. Now I cringe to think of the girls in our fenced in backyard unsupervised. So sad.

    ReplyDelete