Thursday, June 16, 2016

Our Love Story: How We Met

The story of how Mike and I met is so special to me. I didn't know the significance that day would have on the rest of my life.

(At the end of this post, you will get Mike's version of the story too!)

Mike and I attended the same university. We were in the same undergraduate program but he was a year ahead of me so we never had any classes together. It wasn't until my friend started dating his friend that our worlds started to collide. Our groups of friends hung out together a lot and grew pretty close but Mike never seemed to be around. People would mention his name here and there but I never though much of it because I hadn't met him yet.

One day a bunch of us were sitting in the Student Centre hanging out between classes. I was getting ready to head out when Mike came over and sat with us. It was the day after the Red Sox opener (April 3, 2007) and he was dressed head to toe in Red Sox stuff. Red Sox hat, Red Sox jacket, Red Sox hoodie, and perfectly matching navy pants. I found it so amusing and couldn't not say anything. I said something real lame and sarcastic like "I'm guessing you're a Red Sox fan?" He said he was (although he doesn't anymore.) I remembered hearing something about the game earlier that day so I said "I hear they didn't win the opener but I'm sure Beckett will kill the next game!" His eyes lit up like fireflies that a girl was talking to him about baseball! Honestly, who was that girl? I didn't even like the Red Sox!

That was about the extent of our conversation but later on I heard through the grapevine that he was interested in me. He asked his buddy for my email address so that he could add me on MSN. (Who remembers when MSN was everyone's primary method of communication?!) His friend asked me if it was ok and I of course agreed because I thought he was really good looking. We chatted online a bunch and I started seeing him around campus a lot more. Apparently he would come into school even on his day off so that we could spend some time together. I was also interested in spending a lot more of my free time there all of the sudden. I would tell my mom that I really liked to study at school "because of the very quiet library" meanwhile I was busy flirting with my future husband! She won't be so mad when we give her adorable grandbabies.

This is our very first picture together! Taken November 15, 2007. We look like such babies! And my hair was brown!


And this is the exact spot that we first met. We had our engagement pictures taken on campus and found the table we were sitting at when we first locked eyes.



And here's what Mike's side of the story looks like:

I remember leaving my class, which if I remember correctly was Sports Economics and heading into the Student Centre all decked out in my Red Sox gear (long story, but basically even though I'm a Pirates fan, once upon a time I loved Pedro Martinez and the Sox) when all of a sudden this girl started talking to me about Opening Day. It didn't go so well for the Red Sox, and this girl, who at the time was a Blue Jays fan didn't miss an opportunity to remind me of the Red Sox's ineptitude. It was really odd because although she was sitting at a table full of my friends, I had never seen her before. Needless to say, when your first introduction to me is talking baseball, well my interest is piqued. I asked all my friends who this girl was and they told me her name was Evelina. The other funny detail is that I wasn't wearing glasses or contacts, so I had no idea what she looked like. She was "blurry-faced, baseball-talking girl" to me. So the next stop, obviously, is to creep her Facebook profile and finally muster up the courage to arrange another encounter. In the first little bit we would stay up until all hours of the night talking on MSN Messenger, and the rest is history. I would always remind my friends how absolutely clueless they were to know that there was this girl who loved baseball and never thought for one second to introduce her to their baseball obsessed friend, but it all worked out in the end.

He liked me even without seeing what I looked like!

Awww.



23 comments:

  1. OMG this is so sweet! And hahaha yes to MSN! Too funny! That or AIM. And I can't believe your hair was brown at one point! You look great with both hair colors! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too sweet! I love reading stories of how someone met their significant other - way to impress with the sports talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soo sweet, I love that you went back to the exact spot for your engagement pictures! Love your brown hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story, and those engagement pictures are so beautiful!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. your hair!! I think this is the first I've seen it brown!!! I like it :)

    Mike's version is far more like what I would truth, gotta get on the FB creeping!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I love that you guys went back and took some engagement pictures there. Very special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet! And you look totally different with brown hair! My hair color is actually brown as well, but I've been blonde for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, you looked like a totally different person with brown hair! And your engagement photos were gorgeous! Such a sweet story - I loved hearing Mike’s side as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your story and Mike's version! That is also so neat that you took your engagement pictures where you met!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a cute story, and reminds me a little bit of how my husband and I met. We met in class, but started talking a lot online before becoming official. That's so cute that he liked you before he even knew what you looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute story. I love it. And so glad that you included Mike's version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO SWEET!!! I love that you went back and took pictures at that table. That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh how sweet is that...I mean I wish he was still a red sox fan, but I'll forgive him and look at you with your brown hair!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beyond precious!! I love hearing these how we met stories and yours is a goodie!! Blessings to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet story, love this! And that pic of you guys at the table is too cute... loving your brunette hair too <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Love at first sight. :)

    PS - the brown hair threw me for a loop when I saw it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahah blurry-faced, baseball-talking girl. I love hearing the guys perspective too. Thanks for sharing. I love reading these stories. P.s. I like your hair blonde more than the brunette! I almost didn't recognize you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How we met stories are some of my favorites! You can definitely say you had a meet-cute, since technically, Mike couldnt see you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these stories!! That is funny about the glasses as well. And super fun that you got engagement pics at your meeting table!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet! I love that your engagement pictures were so meaningful too!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this! it's so sweet :)

    i met my husband at a rave LOL. i was so high that i thought he was asian (!) and when he came up to me the following week, i was like, who are you? have we met before? HAHAHAA

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so sweet. I love that even baseball has something to do with how you met and going back to the place where you met for engagement photos is such a great idea. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww this is the cutest!! And it made me laugh that he couldn't even see you when he met you. Your baseball smarts really did you some favors! ;)

    ReplyDelete