Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Smoothie Cheat

During the warm months, I prefer to eat light and stay away from hot foods. Who wants to eat soup or heavy meat and potatoes when it is scorching outside? I am more drawn towards salads and fruits & veggies. And tons of liquids. Fruit infused water, sweet tea, pop (or soda -- depending where you live!) Smoothies are by-far my favourite for when I am craving a late-night snack.


There are so many different combinations out there. From to pumpkin and peanut butter to kale and kiwi you can pretty much stick anything in your smoothie these days and it wouldn't be weird. Some are even geared towards weight loss or acne or menstrual cramps! There's seriously a billion different kinds to choose from. I prefer to keep it simple and classic with traditional ingredients.

How do I cheat? With frozen fruit. What? I didn't promise that my big smoothie secret was groundbreaking. I just can't be bothered to buy a ton of various (and expensive) fresh fruit to wash and cut up. Not to mention making sure I use it all up before it goes bad. I skip the headache and head straight to the freezer aisle. 


One of these bags lasts me for about a week's worth of smoothies. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll throw in a banana in there as well. It's so easy and the frozenness makes the smoothie nice and cold as well. Frozen fruits can actually have more nutritional value than fresh fruit. Because they are picked when ripe and frozen immediately, they retain most of their nutrients whereas fresh fruit are picked way before they have a chance to fully develop and are expected to ripen during transport. I read that some fresh fruit can be in transportation and storage anywhere between 3 days and 12 months!

Back to smoothies. I am loving mixed berries or a tropical blend. They are so good for an early summer morning or a pre-bed snack. And I don't feel even a little guilty indulging!

Win.

_________________________

Linking up with CourtneyJamieJamieElizabethSarah, and Whitney for their Foodie for a Year series. 





23 comments:

  1. Love smoothies all year round! I also throw in a handful of greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use frozen fruit too - it just stays around so much longer and then fresh greens when needed! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love smoothies, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always using frozen fruit in my smoothie to give it the cold refreshing sensation I love. What I love about smoothies, you can throw anything in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love smoothies, esp with bananas. I have 5 giant bags of fruit in my big freezer for just that. Plus Aria loves to eat frozen fruit just as much as fresh fruit, so that's super easy! I have no idea how she doesn't freeze her teeth, but she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always make smoothies with frozen fruit too! SO much easier! I love a good smoothie on a hot day <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I love using frozen fruit with smoothies! It doesn't go bad nearly as fast! I always use bananas in my smoothies so I have to go through them quickly!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Smoothies are my go-to, but usually in the mornings. Throw in some spinach, some chia seeds, a bit of milk, and bam! Delicious, filling, and healthy to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh i totally can't be bothered with fresh fruit. frozen all the way! i like smoothies for breakfast, though it's hard during the work week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I go through phases with smoothies, but I'm definitely with you on going with frozen fruit! Fresh fruit is so expensive and you're right on it going bad so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Bring on all the smoothies this time of year. Frozen fruit is the way to go <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  12. And in Texas we call it "coke!" Haha... always confusing.
    Delicious post! I love those bags of blended fruit, because it makes the morning prep/cleanup so super simple!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I was a smoothie person, but I'm just not! Who knew that about frozen fruits?! Definitely not me! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though I love soup, it's definitely not something that I want to eat when it's hot outside. A smoothie would be a great, and healthier option!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely a good reminder! For some crazy reason I made soup this week...I have no idea why though! During the summer I usually just want to eat watermelon, tomatoes and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a huge smoothie fan k the summer too. That combo looks perfect. Ill have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a huge smoothie fan k the summer too. That combo looks perfect. Ill have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We LOVE smoothies! They got me through my calorie counting as I had them pretty much every night for dessert. Frozen fruit is definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great shortcut to keep on hand. Smoothies are so delicious and perfect for those summer months!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love smoothies and using frozen fruit is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anything that can help me save some time in the am, esp with breakfast, is worth it! Thanks for the smoothie cheat, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have a blender and I am now realizing that I need to for some summer refreshments!


    The Adored Life

    ReplyDelete
  23. Smoothies are great on the go meals. I make mine with oatmeal and protein, so yummy.

    ReplyDelete