Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What's Your Decorating Style?

The other day I was strolling through Houzz and I stumbled across a quiz that promised to tell me what my home decorating style is. If you have a minute to take the quiz, I'd love to know what your result was! Leave me a comment below and tell me if you agree with what they pegged you as.

(click on the image above to take the quiz!)

My result was "Transitional" and I had no idea what the heck that meant. It kind of sounds like an in-between, comfortable style. I don't disagree but I think there's a lot more to my decorating choices than that. There are some pretty rigid definitions that explain what each style is and I find that people usually don't fall into just one category.

Some of the most popular styles, as defined by hgtv.com, are:

- CONTEMPORARY: Contemporary design often has clean, sleek lines and is marked by solid colors, predominantly muted neutrals or bold punches of color in furniture and accessories. Furniture is sleek, lower to the ground and often has metal frames or straight legs with an emphasis on basic shapes and forms. Graphic elements in artwork or as accents work well with this look. 

- COUNTRY: A rustic elegance is characteristic of this look. Some country looks are marked by extensive use of white wood paneling and soft floral patterns, muted hues and pops of red, black or pure white accents. Floral, checked and striped vintage fabric patterns are standards, and elements have a handmade, rustic quality: wood, handmade pottery, baskets and hand-forged metal to name a few. Primitive furnishings have history to them, and are bought in antique shops and flea markets.

- MID-CENTURY MODERN: A style characterized by simplicity, functionality and natural shapes. Architecture shows off its minimalist design with walls of glass. Pops of deep colors such as orange, yellow, olive green and chocolate brown add to decor. An updated version of this look is found at stores like Jonathan Adler, marked by fun, colorful and quirky furnishings.

- SHABBY CHIC: This cottage-inspired look includes weathered white-painted furniture, painted motifs, floral prints in muted colors, white slipcovered sofas and vintage accessories. A sense of brightness and airiness is always evident in these interiors.

- TRADITIONAL: Furnishings are usually 18th-century English, 19th-century neoclassic, French country and British Colonial revival. Use of classic styling and symmetry to create a calm, orderly decor. Color palette is usually in the mid-tones and fabrics are muted, usually simple florals, solids, stripes or plaids.

- TRANSITIONAL: The transitional look bridges contemporary and traditional design. Offering a deep rooted sense of history in some pieces, while furniture often gets an update with cleaner lines. Leather ottomans used as coffee tables is very popular in this decor. Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn could be considered transitional looks. 

Of course there are many, many more styles out there like art deco, coastal, eclectic, english country, mediterranean, and western to name a few.

I think I have a little bit mid-century modern and contemporary in me as well. I tend to go for a bright and airy feel with a focus on comfort. My favourite TV house is the one that family lives in on Blackish. That kitchen!! Also, the set of Kocktails with Khloe (RIP) always gave me all the heart eyes.



As for Mike, I asked him what his decorating style is. His response: "minimalist, meaning I wouldn't bother decorating at all." Ha! At least I have free reign!
___________________________

Linking up with
Jenn and Jessi for their What's Hap-Pinning Wednesday link-up

27 comments:

  1. This would be a fun quiz to take! I'd like to say I'm a bit modern with traditional bits thrown in as well! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to take this quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to take this quiz! I have no clue what I am literally I just say southern chic? Is that even a real thing!! Haha. Happy Wednesday!
    xoxo,Victoria
    www.coffeeandablonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I HAD to take the quiz and I got transitional too. I have been told that I am a very eclectic decorator though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love fun quizzes like these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely see if this fits me bc my home is so old school classic/traditional! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got traditional and the picture they showed with it was perfect! I didn't think that's what I would be, but I do have a few antique pieces in my home even though I'm not an antique kind of girl! Thanks for posting this!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome that you have free reign. It took me awhile before the husband started to trust my choices, and even now we definitely have to talk over and compromise all decisions! I got transitional too. I feel like a lot of the questions didn't have the answers I would pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like such a fun quiz! I think that I would have to peg myself as Transitional considering that we have a leather ottoman as a coffee table and love to shop at Pottery Barn lol! I need to go and take the quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quiz! I got traditional too, and of course LOVED the bulldog pic at the beginning <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I am traditional which didn't surprise me :)

    -Heather from www.heatherhawkinsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo apparently I am coastal. Which makes sense with my blue love and sea love. I could definitely live on the sea shore. :P

    If you don’t already, you prefer to live at the beach. You like things light and breezy and use things you found washed up from the tide as decor. You like lots of light and sunshine, and wonder what season there is besides sunny and warm. You’re laid back, and you never worry about someone or something messing up your furniture. You are coastal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly I would LOVE to have that kitchen... all those windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got transitional as well. Although several questions I just picked an answer to pick an answer - none of the answers sounded appealing to me. Honestly, I feel like I need to decorate to match my house. We originally planned on buying an older home (as in circa 1900). I would've decorated that home totally different than I decorated our current home (which was new construction when we bought it 2012).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Umm... I didn't know what transitional meant but after seeing these pictures, yes please! I'm totally down for that style of decor. Haha love the "minimalist" answer your hubby gave! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was fun! I got French Country which I would say is pretty accurate. Although I wish I fit the description more with rarely being in a hurry. Ha, in my dreams. Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha Mike and Kyle can get together, have a few beers, while we decorate! I think I'm more contemporary. We do have a few traditional pieces here and there, but for the most part I'm in love with sleek lines. I'd love for our house to be more modern.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got mid century modern which is soooooooo not my style. I love taking these types of quizzes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHA! Men. Don't even decorate. That would be perfect. I think Seth would feel the same!
    I had no idea there was a transitional style, but it kind of sounds like me too... which makes sense since I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HA! Loved his answer. Now I want to take the quiz and find out my style! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Xoxo,

    Whitney & Blaire

    Peaches In A PodThat would be my hubby's answer too! I'm transitional too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got Coastal.. I'm not surprised! I would describe my style as southern shabby chic farm coastal, if that's a thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm going to take the quiz now! I am probably transitional and my husband is probably minimalist like your husband! I can hear him saying the exact same thing haha!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun little quiz! I would guess that I am transitional too- a little bit of everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. haha I love Mike's response! I got transitional when I took the quiz too, which is probably right because I like a mix of a lot of everything. I dream of having a mid-century modern house one day though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Decorated kitchen looking great.
    http://www.ootdchannel.com/

    ReplyDelete