Friday, July 15, 2016

10 Best Travel Movies

Since my life revolves around travel so far this summer, I thought it would be fun to round up my favourite travel movies. I dowloaded a couple of these to watch while we sit in the airport or when we're already on the plane. The flight to Poland is 8 hours long so we definitely have some time to kill!

1.  The Terminal
We all know that Tom Hanks is one of the greatest actors of all time but not everyone is familiar with this gem of a movie. It's about a guy who is forced to live in an airport terminal due to political instability in his home country. It's cute and funny at the same time and I plan to watch it again very soon. Since it is usually recommended to check in 2-3 hours before an international flight, I am so very familiar with killing time in an airport. And this one gets bonus points for being set in JFK, an airport I have frequented on several occasions!


2. Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
I looooved this movie when I was younger! It's based on a book written by Ann Brashares and focuses on four best friends that spend the summer apart. They each go on separate vacations but stay in touch through all their individual adventures. I remember relating to each of the girls in a different way. It's a must-see for teenage girls!


3. Wild
Wild is a movie about self-reflection and liberation. A woman spends 3 months hiking along the west coast of the United States and encounters many struggles and interesting people. It's based on a true story and the heroine is played by Reese Witherspoon, who got an Oscar nomination for the role. Definitely a movie to see!


4. Up In The Air
Up In The Air is another comedy-drama about air travel. George Clooney plays a frequent flyer who is hired out by other companies to terminate their employees. He is partnered with a young woman, new to the field, played by Anna Kendrick to whom he has to show the ropes. Many little travel tips are mentioned in the movie that could make travelling much more efficient!


5. Bridesmaids
Ok, so this is not exactly all about travel, but it has some amazing travel-related scenes. Since I am sure 99% of you have seen it, I won't recap the plot. One of my favourite parts is when Kristin Wiig causes a scene on the airplane. She is terrified of flying so the other girls give her a couple drinks to relax. So, so funny!


6. Catch Me If You Can
Catch Me If You Can is one of my all-time favourite movies. Leonardo DiCaprio plays the very talented con artist, Frank Abagnale, based on a true story. He impersonates many professions and at one point tricks his way into being a pilot for Pan Am. Definitely watch this one if you haven't already!


7. Eat Pray Love
This movie is similar to Wild in the sense that a woman steps out of her comfort zone and sets out on a journey to find herself and explore the world. She enjoys the cuisine of Italy, learns the power of prayer in India and finds tranquility in Indonesia. This story is also based on real life experiences. How do these women manage to drop their entire lives to embark on these journeys??


8. The Bucket List
This movie is about two new friends trying to cross as many things off of their bucket list as possible. They are both diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and one man is told that he does not have much longer to live. They travel the world and make the most of their time left together. This movie is about so much more than just travel, like most of the movies on this list.


9. Snakes on a Plane
I was trying to stay away from fear-inducing movies on this list but you can't not include Snakes On A Plane when talking about travel movies. I am a wimp when it comes to thrillers so I haven't seen this one but from what I have read, a bunch of venomous snakes attack the passengers of an airplane. If you want to watch this one, I suggest you do so after your flight.


10. Pan Am
Ok, I am cheating here. Pan Am isn't a movie but it was a very good TV show about pilots and stewardesses so I had to include it. It only lasted one season so it's a quick show to binge watch while sitting in the terminal or while already on board. It is set in the 60s and touches on all the stereotypes of the era and the profession.


What is your favourite travel movie?

8 comments:

  1. bridesmaids! i love that movie. jenny mccarthy was amazing in it! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally think about The Terminal every time I'm in an airport- I haven't seen it in years though! I think Bridesmaids totally counts as a travel movie because you're right- a few of the best scenes are on the plane- so, so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that scene in Bridesmaids when Kristen Wiig freaks out on the plane! It's so funny and I could watch it again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen all of these but two, and I loved most of them! I wasn't a big fan of Snakes on a Plane, though. It was SO over the top! Lol. I hope y'all are having the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many good movies on this list! I especially loved Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants as a teenager! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love some of these and others I have yet to watch. I need to check them out soon :). I hope you are having an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this post! So many great movies. Up in the Air was filmed here in St. Louis, so I especially love that one!

    ReplyDelete