Tuesday, July 19, 2016

3 Things You Have To Do In Alabama (Guest Post)

I hope everyone is doing well over in blogland. As you can see, my posts are not very frequent these days since I'm on vacation. I am enjoying my time with my family in Poland so much. If you follow me on snapchat, you can see what we are up to through my far-too-frequent snaps. 

Today Sarah is here to chat with you about all things Alabama. I have been reading Sarah's blog for a while and she's just the sweetest! And she has the best recipes too!  


You can follow Sarah on Instagram at: sarahshaneyfelt
_______________________________________________________________________

Hey y'all!  My name is Sarah and I blog over at Meet the Shaneyfelts!  


While Evelina is away on vacation, she asked if I would post about my top 3 favorite places to visit in Alabama.  Since I'm from Alabama and love my home state (and still live here!), I thought this was the perfect topic for me to write about!

It was hard narrowing my top picks down to 3 places.  Some may picture Alabama as a state full of rednecks with no running water (literally, someone said that to me one time), but we are far from that!  Alabama has some of the most beautiful scenery and friendliest people you will ever meet!

Onto my top 3...

ONE: You must experience an Alabama football game in Tuscaloosa.

I'm biased toward Alabama football since I was raised a UA fan and went to college there, but there's nothing like it that compares!  The University of Alabama prides itself on tradition and class, and a UA football game is just that.  

I loved attending games as a student.  I loved the tradition video that was shown each game 30 minutes to kickoff.  I loved listening to the band play.  Can you tell that I'm starting to miss it now?

 I think this was the Mississippi State game during fall 2010.

This was during my senior year when we went undefeated and made it to the National Championship in Pasadena--and won!  This picture was taken after the Iron Bowl (the Alabama vs. Auburn game).  We beat Auburn 26-21, and this secured our ticket to the SEC Championship game in Atlanta.

TWO: You must visit the Vulcan in Birmingham at night.

The city of Birmingham used to be known for its iron and steel production.  The Vulcan statue was erected in the 1930s as a tribute to the past.

If you can see from the picture below, there is an observation deck that you can take an elevator to get to and see the entire city.



I think the best time to go is at night since the city lights are shining brightly during that time. This isn't the best quality picture--and it was really windy--but the Vulcan at night is breathtaking!  And Birmingham is my favorite city--I could do an entire post on it!


THREE: You must visit an Alabama beach

Now this I know is not biased.  Hands down, Alabama has the most beautiful beaches.  Well actually, any beach that border the Gulf of Mexico is beautiful, but I'm partial to Alabama. 

There's just something about the sand that makes any beach bordering the Gulf--especially Alabama beaches--better than all the rest.  Trust me.  I've been to beaches on the Atlantic side and I've even been to beaches in Orange County, California, and I'm here to tell you that ours are the best.

This was from a family vacation last summer.  Can you see the white sand in the background?  It's like sugar!  Alabama beaches really are the best!

Alabama has so many great places to visit and this was just a teeny-tiny sample of a few of the things we offer as a state.  We have beautiful places to visit, amazing food, and super friendly people to greet you!

5 comments:

  1. I love Sarah's blog & I'm so glad she shared this post here today! I fully agree with her on most everything (because I too am from/and live in Alabama), except for I believe everyone must attend a football game at Auburn! There's nothing like a weekend spent on the Plains ;)

    xoxo, SS

    Southern And Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sarah! She is right, Alabama has great beaches! I need to convert her to an Auburn fan though ;)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right about the beaches, Sarah!! Any beach on the gulf coast is STUNNING! We've been to the beaches on the NE coast, we've been to beaches on the Atlantic off of GA, SC, NC and FL, and we've been to beaches out west in Malibu, Santa Monica, you name it, and NOTHING beats the gulf. NOTHING. We typically go to PCB or Destin in FL, but the beaches in Alabama are just as beautiful! You can't beat the Emerald Green Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents moved to Alabama while I was in college so we've spent a lot of time visiting there over the years. I've been to A-Day at Tuscaloosa so that sort of counts as going to a game, right? ;) And I've spent a LOT of time at Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Dauphin Island, and Fort Morgan. We go a couple of times a year. :)

    ReplyDelete