Friday, July 1, 2016

Happy Canada Day!


Happy 149th birthday Canada!

Today is Canada Day and BBQs, fireworks, and parades will be taking place from coast to coast. It's the first official long weekend of summer and it always means lots of fun times and celebrating!



Prince William and Kate Middleton visited on Canada Day four years ago!

Since most of my readers are in the States, I thought it would be fun to share some fun facts about Canada.

1. Our Thanksgiving is on a different day! We celebrate in October instead of November. This has something to do with our colder climate and our crops being ready to harvest sooner. Here's a recap of our Thanksgiving festivities from last year.

2. Canada discontinued the penny in 2013. Prices are still listed the same but cash gets rounded up or down. So if something costs $6.42, you pay $6.40 cash. I'm still getting used to it.

3. "Eh" is definitely not as popular as the stereotype says it is. I very rarely say it!

4. People participate in something called a Polar Bear swim where you go into Lake Ontario (or any other large body of water) on January 1st. I will never.

5. Canada is a bilingual country. All signage and is English and in French and it is mandatory to learn French until Grade 9.

6. Basketball was invented by a Canadian!

7. Poutine is a national food and you HAVE TO try it if you ever get the chance! Fries + gravy + cheese = heaven.

8. 60% of the world's polar bears call Canada home.

9. Canada's post office receives millions of letters address to Santa Claus from all over the world every year. And they respond to each one as "Mrs Claus" in the addressee's native language!

10.  Canada uses British spelling, Celsius temps and the metric system.... sometimes. The road speed limits are listed in kilometres but weight is lbs.

So now that you're armed with a bunch of Canadian trivia, when are you coming to visit??

For those of you that live in the States, happy Fourth of July in 3 days! Last year we were lucky enough to celebrate both countries. Mike and I were in Pittsburgh for the Fourth last year and had so much fun joining in on the fun!

Either way, I hope you have a wonderful long weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Fun trivia! I had no idea that y'all had discontinued the penny... that would take me forever to get used to as well! Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting facts! We have a polar bear club that people join on January 1st each year by jumping into the Tennessee River. I will never do that either but I've had family members and friends do it! Happy Canada Day to y'all!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada Day, Evelina!! One of my big accounts at work is in Canada so I have to keep up with all of your holidays! I hope you guys have a wonderful long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Wisconsin does Polar Bear Plunges in the cold winter months as well! Must be because we're so close to yall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Canada! We actually visited quite a bit when I was younger because my grandparents lived close to the border. I think that Lake Louise is the most beautiful place on earth and I want to take my husband there someday. Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously had no idea that today was Canada day, and I had no idea all of these cool things about Canada! There's no way that I would do a polar bear swim either! I can barely handle 50 degree weather as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day! I've heard of poutine but never tried it. Can you get it all over Canada or just where you live? Odds are good that I'd be going to the West Coast of Canada before the East Coast since it's closer and of course I'd have to try that! Hope you have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! I am so glad you shared those facts I love the idea of fries, gravy and cheese and no more pennies sounds like a good idea if you ask me. I also would NEVER take that swim too. That sounds painful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My entire family is Canadian and I lived there til I was 6. We go back to visit every once in a while (since most of my family still lives there) and I love it! Love how you shared all these fun facts! I was surprised about the rounding of pennies when I visited a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "eh" is only popular because the rest of the world keeps saying it, not us! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the facts, Brian and I both want to visit- him for the hockey, PEI for me :) That first picture is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many fun facts about Canada! I have no idea about the polar bears! And I think it is awesome they require you to learn French!

    ReplyDelete