If you remember last week I talked about a blogger swap that I joined called Books N Bloggers. It is hosted by Chaotic Goddess Swaps and I got paired up with the lovely Holly in Australia.
The idea is to exchange three books -- a book you love, a book you recommend, and a book on your partner's wishlist. I sent Holly:1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - I read it a few years ago and it definitely changed my perspective on things. It helped me be more positive and has many great tips and lessons. I think everyone should read this book!
2. The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill - The second I saw this on Holly's wishlist I KNEW I had to gift it to her! It is heavily set in Canada, the author lives in the same city as I do, and my friend met and interviewed him. I read this one before I knew of the local connection and found it so heartwrenching. The story pulled me right in and I was very inspired by the main character.
3. Room by Emma Donoghue - Room is one of my all-time favourite books despite how eerie and disturbing the story line is. I loved that it's written from the perspective of a child. It was recently turned into an award-winning movie but I have yet to see it because I don't want it to ruin how much I love the book. Check out my review of the book here!
And now for the books that Holly sent me!!
1. Yes Please by Amy Poehler - Amy Poehler is one of my favourite actresses! I think she's so funny and as soon as I saw that she wrote a book I knew I wanted to read it. It has received great reviews and everyone I know that has read it said it's amazing!
2. The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer - Another hilarious comedienne. No one I know has read this one yet but it's supposed to be so hilarious! She's so blunt and uncensored and always has me laughing. I loved Lena Dunham's book and I think this one might be similarly good.
3. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - This one was recommended to me by Holly and I already know that I'm going to love it! My mom owned a flower shop for the majority of my childhood so I have a very deep connection to flowers.
Thank you so much Holly for sending me these books and I definitely can't wait to start reading them! I'll try to post reviews as I go for anyone else that's interested.
Have you read any of these books? I would love to hear your thoughts!