Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Reading Lately: The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo

The title is deceiving. I have not been reading this lately. I read it about a month ago and I'm just way late on posting my thoughts on it!

I requested Amy Schumer's book as one of my choices in the Blogger Book Swap. It had just been released and I was dying to read it. Between all the hype and seeing Amy Schumer literally everywhere, it was the first book of the three that I wanted to read.


Overall, I really liked the book and it was a quick read for me. It had short chapters and occasional experts from her teenage diary (with fun footnotes from today's perspective!) There were a lot of fun tidbits about her life that I had no idea about. It was so interesting to learn more about her and her path to where she is today. She worked so hard in stand up comedy over the years and is really passionate about her craft.

I really enjoyed the funny stories she included about exboyfriends, adventures with her sister, and quest to finding a good New York City apartment. I love hearing about life in NYC. It's one of my favourite cities in the world and I occasionally daydream about living there.

The book was mainly light-hearted and hilarious but there were definitely heavier moments. I think Amy did a good job at sprinkling in the realer events of her life throughout. Her dad has MS and her relationship with her mom is a little complicated. She also included a chapter about an abusive exboyfriend which I had to skip entirely because parts of it ran too close to (my past) home.

She is known as a very strong comedienne that along with making a lot of jokes, stands up for important issues. She put emphasis on girl power, self-love, and gun control. I think it's great when celebrities use their platform to promote positivity.

If you're into celeb autobiographies, I am sure you will love her book. Or even if you just like laughing while you read! I recommend!

3 comments:

  1. I have this book on hold at the library and can't wait to get it, I've heard so many great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so interesting to read about people's lives and where they come from because it really helps you to see where they are today. Amy's book sounds like an interesting book for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it's similar to chelsea handler's book - are you there vodka it's me chelsea - did you read that? xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete