Thursday, December 29, 2016

Guys Behind The Blog - December

I hope you all had a very wonderful Christmas! There's always so much lead-up and then it happens in a flash. We spent the holidays enjoying family time and of course, lots of delicious food. Now we are doing a little bit of travelling and celebrating my birthday (which is today!!) 

This Guys Behind the Blog episode is appropriately all about the holidays. As always, Mike has some great answers. I hope you and your guy are able to join us too! 



Q: How do you spend the holidays? Any favorite traditions that you had growing up that you like to share with your family now? 
A: We spend the time leading up to Christmas going to a few Christmas parties that are thrown by my extended family and we usually have a big family breakfast with some aunts and uncles and cousins. On Christmas Eve we celebrate Polish style with Evelina's mom and brother and on Christmas day we do a big dinner with my parents and my brother and his family. Recently, Evelina and I have found a week over the holidays to travel somewhere (2014 North Carolina, 2015 New York City). 

While it’s not a tradition of mine, I really like the Polish Christmas Eve tradition that Evelina brought into my life. While I could probably do without the thousand fish-based dishes that are served, celebrating on Christmas Eve is such a unique thing here in Canada. Aside from that, I’d like for us to travel somewhere as a family over the holidays. It’s not exactly a tradition that I’d be passing down, but rather one that we can start once our family expands beyond the two of us.




Q: Do you prefer to have a real tree or a fake tree? 

A: No question - fake tree. I've always had a fake tree and I can't imagine having anything different. I'm not really interested in venturing out in the cold to cut down a tree and carrying it in my car and getting needles everywhere. Not to mention that I'm not really down with needlessly chopping down a tree... We have a fake tree that looks pretty realistic and I'm happy to be nice and warm each year when we're putting up our tree.



Q: How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa? Did someone ruin it for you or did you find out on your own? Do you play Santa for your kids? 

A: I think I was probably in 5th or 6th grade when I ended the whole Santa thing. I'm pretty sure I figured it out well before that (I mean seriously, how is what Santa does realistic and feasible? I knew it wasn't. I was a smart kid) and I milked it for a few more years to get some extra presents. The year I ended it, I had asked for a couple CDs (that had explicit lyrics) and I feigned surprise when I found the receipt for them in my mom's coat pocket. I'll for sure play  Santa for my children when the time comes, but when they figure it out I'm not going to fight it.


Q: What's your favorite Christmas movie? 

A: My favourite Christmas movies in order are: 1) Bad Santa 2) Elf 3) Home Alone 2 4) Christmas Vacation. I probably won’t be able to sit around with my children and watch Bad Santa for obvious reasons, but I remember the first time I saw that movie and I had no idea that it was that kind of movie. The title doesn’t lie when describing Billy Bob Thornton’s character. And for as funny and crude as it is, it actually has a pretty decent message at the end. 




Q: Office holiday party - take it or leave it?  

A: I will absolutely LEAVE the office Christmas party. I get along fairly well with most of my co-workers, but we aren't exactly friends outside of work. I'd much prefer to spend my off hours time with Evelina or myself or my family. 


Q: New Year's Eve... quiet evening at home or go out and party? 

A: I realize I'm going to sound like a curmudgeon with this answer after my no real Christmas tree answer and no office Christmas party answers, but surprise surprise, I hate New Year's Eve parties. The people who do New Year's Eve big here get all dressed up, and go to some dinner where they probably pay $100+ each to spend it with people they don't really know. What part of that sounds enjoyable? I'd rather do something small and quiet with Evelina and watch some movies together.


___________________________

The linkup below will remain open until January 5th so add your posts below! Next month's link up will go live on Thursday, January 26th. Join us then with the following questions for your guy:

1. Are you a New Year's resolution person? Why or why not?
2. Do you like colder months or do you prefer the warmer months? Why?
3, Have you been skiing or snowboarding? If so, did you enjoy it?
4. Where is your favourite winter vacation you've ever taken?
5. If you were paid $100,000 to stay in a cabin in the mountains (in the winter) with not internet or TV for a month, could you do it? How would you spend your time?


___________________________

The link up was originally hosted by Betsy at Heavens to Betsy and Laura at According to Laura JeanThey decided to discontinue to series so  Crystal from Hall Around TexasElizabeth from Chasin MasonJamie from Cocktails and CarseatsJessica from Secrets of a Stay at Home Mom and I thought it would be fun to take it over. 




___________________________



4 comments:

  1. I like how detailed his answers are. Drew doesn't usually give me much, but Mike really explains. He gave great answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday friend! I hope you have the most amazing day! I love hearing about everyone’s traditions through the guys’ perspective. A trip during the holidays sounds amazing. I am a real tree gal all the way, but your tree is absolutely stunning. I don’t blame Mike for not wanting to freeze for a real tree because yours really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mike on New Years parties! Haha does that make me curmudgeon? Tell me about your lovely fake tree- how tall is it? And what brand? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy birthday friend!!! Hope you had the best day!
    Also, Seth was SO un-into the questions this month for some reason, it was like pulling teeth. Mike is always so detailed! I love it!

    ReplyDelete