Wednesday, March 1, 2017

How We Found Out About Baby

Well, this little baby has been growing inside of me for almost 6 months and I have yet to spill the details. It's about time that I do!

We knew we wanted to start trying for a baby in the fall. We were aiming for an early summer baby so that my teacher husband could be home with me during the first couple of months. Knowing that the time is near, I bought a bunch of pregnancy tests at the dollar store. I remember it like it was yesterday. I felt so nervous and excited to be buying these for myself. My heart was racing. At the checkout, the lady smiled and said "good luck!" In the car I cried all the happy tears from all the emotions. I couldn't believe this was about to happen!

Twenty something days later, I took the first test. I was so excited and again my heart was racing. I put the test by the window sill because I thought it would be so nice to find out in the natural light by a window while being about to see outside. I made Mike sit on the bed with me while we waited. I wanted to remember every single moment. We were about to become parents! There was a lot of hype.

Negative.

A few days later, I took another one. Negative again. And then another negative. It was now day 40 and there was no sign of my period or of a second line on the test. I thought either these tests stink or something weird is going on with my body. I'm pretty regular so something was definitely up. The tests were definitely not as exciting as the first time.

I had decided that if I don't get my period by day 42, I'm going to go to the doctor to see what was happening. I knew he would ask me the last time I took a pregnancy test so I figured it made sense to take one that morning so that I could say "Today! Look! Still nothing!" Mike was still asleep. I sleepily took the test and went on getting ready for work.

A few minutes later I picked it up and expected to see the same old lonely single pink line. Except there was something ever so faint beside it. Was it a shadow? Was it my imagination? I blinked hard to reset my eyes and stared and stared. It seemed like there was something there but was it only there because I was hoping it would be? I was scared to get excited in case I was wrong.

I woke Mike up and shoved the test in his face. He instantly said there was a second line there. I thought, how could he be so quick to see it? He was half asleep and all groggy. I asked him about a thousand times if he was sure. Each time my smile grew bigger and bigger. I wasn't imagining it! We both saw that the test was positive!! We hugged and kissed and laughed and I cried with joy.


Mike said that he knew I was pregnant even before the test. It was the very first time that we had tried to get pregnant and it was also the very first time that my period was that late. He said it was so obvious to him and he wasn't surprised to see a positive test.

It was October 4th, 2016. We went to the doctor straight after work to confirm. Yup, pregnancy confirmed! I cried in the doctor's office too.

I feel so so lucky that we were able to get pregnant so easily. I definitely expected it to take months. When people asked, I would say "We want to try for a June baby but I'm sure that won't happen so I'll be fine with whenever." I remember always being worried in the back of my mind that I won't be able to conceive or carry a child. Because you don't know until you try. And I had never tried before so I had no idea if it was possible for me. To this day, I am so very thankful that our little one came to us so quickly. 

14 comments:

  1. So awesome girl. I am over the moon happy for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timing definitely worked out well for y'all! & you're getting closer & closer to meeting your sweet babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats!!!! this is such an exciting time for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine your excitement waking him up to ask if he could also see the second line! So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting girl, I'm glad to hear that it was easy for you! I have the same fears of when we start trying to conceive, but you just have to leave it up to God and see where it takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great, girl! And so amazing that you got preggo on the first try! B and I were that way with our babies as well, but everyone had always told me we were lucky because it was SO uncommon! I can't wait to see that sweet little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so crazy that it took so long for you to get a positive pregnancy test, but it sounds like it was well worth the wait! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eee!!! So exciting! Cant wait till baby girl's arrival :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! June is a great time for a birthday, and the summer off with Mike will be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! Babies are just the best! :) It's so exciting becoming parents for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!!! That's so exciting! I'm so glad you finally shared details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! Yours went the way my first one went. I kept getting negatives and then I finally got that positive and Kyle was the same way as Mike, "like I knew before you knew!" I can't wait to see your baby :) I bet you're getting excited

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to read your story. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete