Wednesday, January 18, 2017

29

It's been a little while since my birthday but I don't want to forget how I spent the day so it's going up on the ol' blog!

We happened to be visiting Chapel Hill, North Carolina on the big day. The trip (full recap here!) was actually for Mike's 30th birthday which was a few weeks prior but the way the dates worked out, my birthday happened to be during the actual trip. I love the idea of going somewhere special to celebrate instead of just staying home.

We started off the day by -- of course -- going to Starbucks so that I could get my free birthday drink! Is it really a birthday if you don't get a freebee from coffee heaven? Well, no coffee for me this year but the pink drink was a very great substitute!


To keep the pink theme going, I took a little me time to get my nails done. I was actually so sick of wearing red for the holidays, I just wanted something lighter and softer.


Next on my list was to find a couple geocaches I had scoured in the area. I love to go geocaching any opportunity I get and I managed to find two this time! Mike isn't a huge fan but totally let me have my fun on my birthday!

As for a cake, I specifically did not want one this year. Not only would the two of us struggle to finish a cake while on vacation (where there are so many local goodies to try!), but I'm just not that crazy about cake in general. Instead, I asked that we get a few french macaroons. They are such a special treat that I don't indulge in as often as I would like. We drove over to Miel Bon Bons in Durham to pick out some delicious flavours.



Probably my favourite part of my birthday celebrations was a little excursion to a nearby subdivision. I really love exploring residential areas whenever we travel and seeing the different architecture and how people live. I could literally drive around looking at houses all day long. We drove just south of Chapel hill to a community called Briar Chapel. The houses looked fairly recently built but had so much gorgeous southern charm to them. Most of them had gorgeous huge porches with rocking chairs and so much pretty character. This one in the photo below is my absolute favourite! I love colonial-style homes and I would move into this one in a heartbeat!


For dinner we wanted a nice casual place that we hadn't tried before. Mike made a list of restaurants to try during this trip and one of them was Sup Dogs right near the UNC campus. It's your typical, inexpensive, delicious college hangout. I'm so happy that we went there!



After dinner, Mike and I were hoping to find some local bar trivia but since we were in a college town during the Christmas break, a bunch of businesses were closed. Fun fact: our trivia team name (and celeb couple nickname, you know, just in case we get famous one day) is Michelina :)

Overall it was a great day celebrating my champagne birthday! Next year will not only be a decade milestone but it'll be my first as a mommy which makes me more excited than words can describe!

5 comments:

  1. confession: the ONLY reason i signed up for a starbucks account (and got a card) is because of the free bday drink LOL.

    happy belated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your birthday mani and the free drink is definitely always a nice birthday perk! Those macarons look delicious & now I'm definitely craving one or two. So glad you guys had a great trip to celebrate both of your birthdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you had a great birthday!!! I, too, can just drive around looking at houses all day. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun birthday! That meal looks delicious, and I'm so glad you got your free drink! That's one of the best parts of any birthdays! This is going to be such an incredible year for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!! This looks like an awesome celebration! I love love love driving around looking at houses too. It's one of my favorite things to do. <3

    ReplyDelete