Friday, January 6, 2017

Christmas Card 2016

In my last post, I mentioned that we did something different for our Christmas cards this year. I really wanted this to be the occasion where people hear our big news. We obviously told our close friends and family that we are expecting in person, but it was so fun to get the calls and texts when everyone else found out from our card!

In the past, I would just buy boxed cards and write a personal message in each one. But I have always loved the tradition of taking a family photo and seeing how things change every year. It felt silly to send a photo of just me and Mike before and that has now officially changed! I can't wait until next year where we are holding our son or daughter, instead of a grainy ultrasound photo!
I wanted the image to focus on the ultrasound with us blurry in the background. We got my mom to take our photo behind a plaza where the wall was pretty neutral and there wasn't a lot of people. Poor Mike was so cold in just his dress shirt but he handled it like a champ. We may have to incorporate some coats next year because... Canada. I think next year things will be much more difficult with a 6 month old to wrangle in the photo!

We ordered them from Vista Print because they had the best prices and quickest delivery. I was originally dead-set on Minted (especially the gold-foil!) but once I compared them to Vista Print, I was convinced that these would be perfect. (This isn't sponsored! Just my own experience!) They had a ton of great options and various effects you could add to the card itself. I chose to get the thicker card stock and ended up paying just over $30 for 40 cards.

My favourite part was being able to completely personalize the back of the card. Because I knew some of these would get sent out to Poland, I wanted them to be bilingual. Ordering 30 English and 10 Polish would make things so much more expensive so everyone got both languages.


I got the vibe from my Polish people that photo Christmas cards aren't a very popular thing there. Or maybe photo pregnancy announcements? I got a lot of comments about what a great and original idea our card was! I couldn't lie and told them that it's pretty common here and this definitely wasn't my genius idea. Either way, everyone loved it! And I'm so happy with how our cards turned out!

6 comments:

  1. Sweetest Christmas card ever!!! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What a happy announcement. I bet your family was elated to receive this announcement as a Christmas card greeting. And good to know about Vista, I've never tried Vista.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you announced it. So much fun & I love the greetings in both English & Polish. Wonderful card, pretty lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Christmas card and how you announced it to other relatives and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO exciting!! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this!!! What a fun way to announce that you are expecting! We should have done this... Mason was born in July and we announced at Christmas time too!

    ReplyDelete